Pre-1997 Models

key switch will not start truck just rotates

Old 02-06-2012, 06:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
key switch will not start truck just rotates

1995 F150 no tilt steering have taken apart the entire column from the dash forward cannot find the problem--going to put it back together and leave the key switch assembly out and use screw driver to turn base cylinder that should prove or disapprove key switch , right?
disabled, could not sleep will probably have this done before anyone can reply
but any and all help appreciated

Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
If it is the key cylinder, a new one is 17 bucks at napa.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bill, just so you know, I lifted all of the following off of another website, allexperts.com. I'm not sure what the protocol is regarding doing that, but I wasn't going to type all that crap and try to make it mine. That said, this guys problem is key turns engine on, but not off. If it's the same problem you're having, good luck. Seems to be rather intense. There is also a diagram there of all the parts involved. I typed 1995 f 150 steering column in yahoo search engine, and this is what came up. >>> It sounds like the white plastic "Rack actuator" gear has broken. It's a very common problem and requires quite a bit of work and experience to replace it. It is buried inside the column. The airbag (if equipped), the steering wheel, the turn signal switch, both covers, the lock cylinder, the tilt housing (and spring), the actuator gears inside the lock housing and the upper bearings all have to come apart to access this gear. Once it's apart, the new part needs to be shaved to fit properly and then the gears need to be realigned properly to hit all the key positions. I would not recommend doing this one yourself.
A good repair shop should charge you about 2 hours labor to do it and the part costs about $12.00
The part has to come from Ford only, (not a parts store) & the part # is F2DZ 3E723 A. Your rack gear is the long yellow plastic one in the bottom of the photo.
Again, good luck. Peace, Dave.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: key switch will not start truck just rotates