Pre-1997 Models

Upgrade EFI or Convert to Carb on 351W

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade EFI or Convert to Carb on 351W

Hey guys, i have a pretty nice built 351W with stock EFI and im pretty sure it's limiting the power i have because the EFI is not enough for my engine or if the spark is not enough since i can sometimes smell very rich fumes. It runs good on high RPM's but on idle it will want to die down. I dont know if it's a spark issue or if it's a wiring issue or what it actually may be.

All i know is that i have a pretty good set up and i dont know whether to match what i have in the engine with a good aftermarket EFI or just do away with all the electronic stuff and go to a carburetor. Any ideas? comments? suggestions?

This is what i have now:

1993 F-150 Flareside
351W
over 30
wiseco pistons, forged/flat
stock heads, ported, polished (compression ratio, i wana say is 10.8:1)
i believe valves and springs came from 5.0HO
trick flow pushrods
stock connecting rods
stock lifters - no aftermarket roller rockers
pioneer race balancer
high volume oil pump
stock water pump
cam is custom (dont know specs) but it sure makes a difference.
headers
flowmasters
K&N intake

tansmission
removed E4OD and installed C6 - overhauled locally - put in about $1000 into it....not exactly sure whats inside, but it does shift very nicely

373 gears on 33-12-15 BFG's
BW1356 transfer case

it may not seem like much but it sure runs like heck...and when it's on 4L going up the sand dunes, man, hang on to your undies!!!

like i said, any ideas or suggestions or comments are appreciated!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 AM
I'd definatly keep EFI, no need to go to an out-dated, unreliable, inefficient technologgy. You probably need to convert to MAF, and possibly get a custom tune; those 2 things will really really bump up the performance you're talkin about.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Are you still running the stock injectors?
You probably need to upgrade to 24s and have a tuner re-flash your processor.
...or you could convert to MegaSquirt and do your own tuning.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM
i still have stock injectors..not to mention wiring is stripped bare at certain parts of it...vacuum lines are cracked, broken or missing...it runs ok but i know it needs improvement. what i dont want to do is invest thousands when i wont be using it as much. i want good parts but i dont want to pay 3 or 4k for an EFI system. im looking to spending maybe at the most $1000.

im fairly new to this mechanical stuff......i know just enough to get by.....im totally lost with this EFI stuff.

can i get a MAF system from a different vehicle and use it and expect better performance???

and.....i dont feel comfortable doing this stuff myself..i'd probably pay someone to do it......

Last edited by omarb; 01-18-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 PM
For starters FIX THE VACUUM LEAKS. There is no way your engine or any engine will run worth crap with grossly reduced vacuum. Once you have all the broken stuff fixed then, and only then, can you discuss mods to make it run better

Old 01-22-2012, 03:58 PM
let me ask you guys this, is there a kit that i can buy to replace the ENTIRE EFI system for that model vehicle? that way i can replace vacuum lines and wiring and all that good stuff? and if there is such a kit, would there be any that may be of a bit higher performance?

Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the entire EFI system...The computer uses sensors to gather infomation about the engine and how it is running. The sensors are part of that system, as are the solenoids, etc. There is a replacement computer you can use by having a custom tune, but as far as replacing the sensors and vacuum lines, I do not know of a kit...I don't know how there would be a higher performance vacuum line, but rubber\silicon lines are far more reliable. www.rjmtechnologies.com has a harness to convert your current harness to MAF and I hear that makes the swap much more simple.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:23 PM
i'm talking about better wiring, modify the ecm, a little bit better injectors, new vacuum lines, not so much the sensors and solenoids.

i dont think that was the right website for the wiring harness........

Old 01-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Yea, you're right thats the very wrong website, lol my bad.
http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/
The sensors are needed for the computer to do it's job, and as far as better wiring, stock is fine, the only thing to really consider is corrosion and signal loss, which stock handles both fine. The solenoids are for the emissions system, which actually makes the engine run better. Injectors depend on the set up you have, but if you run anything other than stock you'll need a custom tune.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:09 PM
ok....if i get bigger injectors, new wiring harness, new vaccum lines and tune the ecm, will i get enough improvement to be able to run the engine that i described in the very first post?

also.....do i have to replace the electronic coil/distributor (is there such a thing?)

Old 01-23-2012, 04:11 PM
An MSD replacement for the stock distributor would be good, with a remote mount ICM. 24s would probably good for that set up, but it depends on the guy who does your tune. I think it'd be okay though. MAF is what's going to make the biggest difference.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:15 PM
off the top of your head, what do you think this set up would cost me?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Depends on if you junkyarding or not, and how much your tunner costs. For junkyard route, you can google MAF swap and it'll pretty much tell you what you need. I haven't priced out my swap yet.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
sounds good..i'll look into it and see what i can come up with...thanks...i'll prob be back on this post and see if anyone else has joined in the conversation....i also just started another thread on my transfer case motor....check it out, maybe you can give your input on that one as well...thanks again....

Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Question 89 f150 300l6

I have a 89f150 with a efi 300 motor and I want a 351 w and I found one but it's carb and I want it to be efi where can I find a conversion kit ?

Quick Reply: Upgrade EFI or Convert to Carb on 351W