Pre-1997 Models

Thermactor Pump question on '82 F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermactor Pump question on '82 F150

I've been reading some threads about emissions control systems, and read up on the thermactor pump in a Hayne's repair manual I have. I've removed the cats on my '82 with a 302 because in Texas, I don't have to pass emissions. My question is: is it a smart/beneficial idea to remove the thermactor pump? It could be totally a bad idea, if so, just let me know. But if it's a good one, I'd like to take the load off the belt system because I just replaced a broken AC compressor with a good one and added it to the belt system which has really killed the pickup of the engine. Thanks in advance

Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Replacing an air conditioner pulley will have no effect on the power of an engine, unless the air conditioner is on all the time. Removing the smog pump is not only illeagal, but it does indeed kill performance. The AIR system use the air pumped from the smog pump in more places than the Cat. Please put at least one Cat back on, a high performance cat will not hurt your performance as well as keep our air clean.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Even though Texas doesn't require an emission test its still illegal to remove the cats by federal law and it could be against state law too. In my state emission testing is not required for any vehicle older than 96 (OBDI). My friend removed the cats on his 92 Mustang and the inspector failed him for removing the installed factory emissions system. You also have to tell a potential buyer that the emission system has been altered. Free flowing cats are cheap and we all breath the air. Any of the working emission controls that you can remove will not help performance or gas mileage since a lot of the changes were made internally.
YMMV
rikard

Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick Reply: Thermactor Pump question on '82 F150