Pre-1997 Models

What kind of shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of shocks?

I have an 87 f150 2WD with the 5.0 motor. I desperately need shocks, but I'm pretty unsure of what kind of shocks to get for it. I'm not trying to do anything with the truck, it's my DD. I was running 33s all around on it, but my front shocks are too bad to handle the 33s now and every time I hit a bump they rub the fender, so I'm running itty bitty tires up front now lol.

Im really an import guy, so I don't really know who makes good shocks for trucks and such. So my question is, what would be a decent shock I can buy for the front of my truck that would also support my 33s again??? I'm kinda on a pretty strict budget, but about $100 is as much as I can invest on shocks right now.

Any input will definitely be appreciated.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Bilstein

Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Any specific kind? Product # codes?

Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 AM
bilstiens are a awsome shock but pricy. i always used gabrial and monroe and never had any problems i run 35s with monroe's and they are reasonably priced

some advice i normaly take a 3/4 or 1 inch hole saw bit and cut a hole over the shock in the plastic inner fenders so its easyer plus u can get a socket down in there or a sawzall and cut the post just under the shock tower

also if u have any lift on the truck u have to get corasponding shocks orelse they woulnt reach and or pull apart if u hit a hard bump

Old 01-02-2012, 11:21 AM
No, I don have a lift on my truck or anything. It's still factory height. Thanks for te info, I know where I can get some mid grade Monroe shocks for relatively cheap

Old 01-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Shocks only dampen the motion. If your suspension is hitting the stops it might be time for new springs up front.
I have had Monroes, Gabriels, Bilsteins, and Konis on a variety of rides. I used to get Sears shocks on sale but I prefer Monroes for stock trucks but if Gabriels are on sale I'll get those. Gas shocks seem to handle off roading and trailering better than regular shocks. Bigger (heavier) tires will also reduce shock life.
regards
rikard

Quick Reply: What kind of shocks?