Pre-1997 Models

93' F150 oil pressure dropped fast

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93' F150 oil pressure dropped fast

Don't know much about engines, so bear with me...

So today I was driving about 70mph down the interstate and I noticed my oil pressure dropped, all the way past the L, I pulled into a gas station and checked the oil, it was fine, but my engine was making a "knocking" sound. I drove home and whenever I eased off the accelerator the oil pressure would go back up. I let the engine rest for a few hours and started it up again, and the knocking was gone and oil pressure was back to normal. The engine is a 5.0L and has 118k miles on it, the rear main seal needs to be replaced but that's the only other problem I noticed with it. I am going to get it looked at but my mechanic is out of town until Jan 3, would it be ok to drive it off and on between now and then? Any clues what the problem is?

Thanks for any help!

Old 12-29-2011, 07:49 PM
first think i would do is get a REAL oil pressure gauge not the dummy gaug thats in the dash so u can actualy c what the pressure is. but normaly when u hit the gass the pressure should go up

Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by miner1436
Don't know much about engines, so bear with me...

So today I was driving about 70mph down the interstate and I noticed my oil pressure dropped, all the way past the L, I pulled into a gas station and checked the oil, it was fine, but my engine was making a "knocking" sound. I drove home and whenever I eased off the accelerator the oil pressure would go back up. I let the engine rest for a few hours and started it up again, and the knocking was gone and oil pressure was back to normal. The engine is a 5.0L and has 118k miles on it, the rear main seal needs to be replaced but that's the only other problem I noticed with it. I am going to get it looked at but my mechanic is out of town until Jan 3, would it be ok to drive it off and on between now and then? Any clues what the problem is?

Thanks for any help!
Did you get a Service Engine light? If so, run a diagnostic check for codes.

1. I would start by replacing the oil pressure switch. They are around $10 and it only takes a few minutes to replace.
2. Run to a local parts store and purchase an analog oil press gauge.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
It's NOT just a bad sensor - if it was knocking, it REALLY DID have low/no oil pressure.

You have the symptoms of a clogged screen on the oil pickup. The pan has to come down.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try changing the oil and oil filter. I saw something similar once with my dads '67 Ford car with a 289, forerunner of the 302 if I'm not mistaken. This car had an oil pressure light so it was noticeable right away. The car was stopped right away when the light came on after about a 10 mile drive. I started it the next day, oil light was off, drove about 8 miles oil light came on, stopped car, changed oil filter and light was off. Drove another 2 miles home, changed oil and filter. No more problem after that. Yhoa the oil filters are supposed to have a bypass, but what can you expect from a 4 dollar oil filter. Hope you get by as lucky.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Changed the oil and oil filter today.. thanks for all the suggestions, ill have my mechanic check the pick up screen.

fingers crossed....:o

Old 01-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Checking the pickup screen requires removing the engine. Read this caption:

Old 01-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Turns out the previous owner somehow got sand in the engine, so im just getting a new engine entirely.

Quick Reply: 93' F150 oil pressure dropped fast