Pre-1997 Models

auto tranny prob.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto tranny prob.

92 2wd 300 auto.lately going into first kinda hard.goes from 1-2 with a bit of a jerk,2-3 smoother,3-4 real easy.just started doing this.always ran great otherwise.fluid is worn but not burnt.level is fine truck has around 140,000.not a real problem as i have drove other cars with this shifting habit.should i be worried?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Auto" doesn't tell us enough. Create a signature so the truck's details show with every post. You can omit "F150" and "19.." since we assume that. But put the 2-digit year, engine size, transmission model, trim level, cab/bed configuration & wheelbase, transfer case model (if 4WD), gear ratio, tire size, miles (or KMs), mods, maintenance, damage, repairs, etc. If you don't know all the truck's details, read this caption & follow the links in it:

If there are any terms you don't understand, read this: Automotive Terms & Abbreviations

Uploading pics of your truck would also help. This forum supports pics, but it's easier to embed them in your posts if you follow the instructions at this link:
http://www.supermotors.net/forums/th...-and-or-videos

Old 12-13-2011, 03:56 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Change the fluid.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Change the fluid.
i was thinking that,since it hasn't been changed since i've had it[96].never gave me any problems before.might take advantage of a special on fluid changes at one of the local shops.other than that i really have NO complaints about my truck.just regular maintainence and repairs as things go wonky[which is to be expected]thanks for the feedback.bob

Old 12-14-2011, 01:27 AM
That's a bad idea for 2 reasons:
1) the "special" at the oil change shops is for the cheapest liquid that can pass for ATF; not the right stuff.
2) changing overdue ATF is risky no matter what. Read this caption:

Old 12-14-2011, 04:25 AM
glc
The old saying "pay me now or pay me later" applies - there's no excuse for letting a transmission go for 15 years without changing the fluid.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:18 PM
i'll have you know i have an excellant reason for not changing my tranny fluid for 15 years.....i am an idiot.best reason i can come up with.actually i just recently got into the whole take care of your vehicle thingy or state of mind and am making up for lost time.i,ve always done the oil and tuneups.recently did my rotors,bearings,front shocks and springs,even replaced a bent push rod.just never thought about the tranny.maybe theres hope for me yet.anyways,the shops use the name brand stuff,so why is it a bad idea for them to change it?i have heard through the years that new fluid messes with the seals or something like that,so maybe thats why i never did it.anyways,consider me beat with a wet noodle.:o

Old 12-14-2011, 05:31 PM
glc
At this point, you really don't have anything to lose by getting the fluid changed. It MIGHT help, but it's time to start looking for another tranny anyway.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by frankentrike
the shops use the name brand stuff...
None of the shops I've worked at use name-brand fluids, except the dealership.
i have heard through the years that new fluid messes with the seals or something like that...
So, you DIDN'T read that caption.
anyways,consider me beat with a wet noodle.:o
...or an empty wallet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: auto tranny prob.