Pre-1997 Models

Parkin brake.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parkin brake.

The oldest piece of the puzzle finally gave way.
I really stand on my parkin brake or else it don't do much, well last friday I stood on it and about put my foot through the firewall.
I thought the cable has snapped, but it was the hanger/splitter that gave up the ghost. Now we have a problem, I can't find the parts anywheres online.
Any suggestions?

Honestly I can't even tell how it is supposed to go back together now, even after messing with it countless times in the past.
If nothin else I'm gunna try a long bolt in place of where the adjuster bolt pulled out and try it.
With the mazdogs tendency to slip little by little while in gear, I really wanna get this fixed.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:57 PM
i have this drawing if it might help you. maybe make your own parts or go to a junkyard.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks dude, thats how I thought it went.
I'm sure its in my haynes somewhere, but thats under the seat of my truck and I'm in my dorm like a mile away.
It looks to me like the original adjuster bolt ripped through the limiter housing, so I'll see what I can do about getting a new bolt in there.
Unless a parts store got stuff cheap.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Click my black Bronco in my signature & read the captions in the Brakes & Hubs album that deal with the parking brake system. If you can't find an equalizer/tension limiter locally, I'm pretty sure I have a good Ford/Motorcraft replacement in my junkpile.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Looks like lmc has em, they are quite pricey though.
Can I use the same equalizer bar and just get the tension piece and bolt?
I will have to call up the stealership and see if they can get me one.
Also, is there anything that can be done about the parking brake pedal bending? I have to bend mine back out every time or it will rip a new chunk out of the kick panel. Like the pedal itself bends towards the kick panel when engaged, which has led to a broken hood release and scratched up panel.

Found it on bronco graveyard as well, 35 bucks for the tensioner pieces, 21 for the bar. Cheaper than lmc.

Last edited by russo2; 11-30-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You can have this for $20+sh; e-mail me.

There are only 3 fasteners holding the e-brake pedal to the dash & firewall - toss it & put in a replacement from the JY. You might even find a good equalizer with it.

But it sounds like you're putting WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too much pressure on that pedal, which suggests you have drum brake problems.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm pretty sure I got drum problems. I never got to replace the brakes after an axle seal leak, just cleaned em. Money is mega tight lately.
I'm pretty sure in my stupidity I was trying to make up for the pads not being adjusted by cranking the adjustment on the cables. And there was no return spring, and I didn't know there was to be one, so that was screwin me up with cable slack as well. basically I need to do some readin and replacin.
It's deer season I won't get to a junkyard for 2 weeks from today, so if I do not find an equalizer in the jy I will email you steve. Thanks.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Russo, if you put it in low range when you park the motor/trans will hold it better, I know thats a PITA but it may get you through Deer season.

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
Russo, if you put it in low range when you park the motor/trans will hold it better, I know thats a PITA but it may get you through Deer season.

Good luck.
I actually have done that before, didn't know if it helped any, but I've done it.
Right now I'm just avoiding situations where it would be putting a lot of stress on the trans, like parking on a hillside. I just park crosswise when possible and if not I have half a cinder block and a brick in the bed.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Quick Reply: Parkin brake.