Pre-1997 Models

2WD in snowy conditions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2WD in snowy conditions

as the title says i would like to know how a 2wd does in snowy conditions, should i need snowchaines to put on it or not?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:18 PM
How much snow do you get in Belgium? 2 cm or 20 cm? It sort of makes a difference.
Seriously, with all season radials you're good in most conditions. If it snows a lot you might want to look at putting all-terrain tires on the rear.
If you're really worried, put whatever the European equivalent of a 2 x 4 piece of lumber is across the bed behind the rear wheel wells and stack 30-40 kg of sandbags in the rear of the bed. If you do get stuck, you can open a bag and use the sand for traction

Old 11-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
How much snow do you get in Belgium? 2 cm or 20 cm? It sort of makes a difference.
Seriously, with all season radials you're good in most conditions. If it snows a lot you might want to look at putting all-terrain tires on the rear.
If you're really worried, put whatever the European equivalent of a 2 x 4 piece of lumber is across the bed behind the rear wheel wells and stack 30-40 kg of sandbags in the rear of the bed. If you do get stuck, you can open a bag and use the sand for traction
last year we had +-15 cm but that was where i live and i was driving my fiat small hatchback. and this year we will make a trip bit further wich will have minimum 20 cm snow. i now have all seasons on it but when it rains its spins easy (tires are from 2002) and when braking the front sometimes slips aswell

Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do the sand bags, if you have a limited slip diff you should be good. Just remember it still won't stop like when it's dry weather.

If you have an open diff and 1 wheel is spinning just apply the parking brake a few clicks and it will help transfer the power to the other wheel. Just remember to release it when you get going.

Keep a light foot on the gas pedal. All pick-ups are loose in the rear when empty.

Quick Reply: 2WD in snowy conditions