Pre-1997 Models

1996 4.9 Straight 6 Front Rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 4.9 Straight 6 Front Rotor question

So I'm doing a complete redo on my 1996 brake system. The front rotors have gone bad, so I bought new ones and pulled the old off. Behind the rotors though, I discovered this circular plate, held on by two bolts. Both plates, on the right and left, are halft rusted off, but it appears that the whole plate would have had four or five quarter sized holes in it. It also looks like a gasket or seal of some sort was on it at one time. I called Autozone, Autovalue, and O'Riley's, and no one at any of those stores had any idea what I was talking about. Does anyone here know what that part is?

1. Is it aftermarket?
2. Do I need it?
3. If I do need it, where could I get a new one?

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's called the "splash shield" and it reduces the amount of water that the tires throw onto the (presumably HOT) rotors. Personally, I like having them. Some other people don't care about them, and many of those have brake problems. You can only get it from Ford, a Ford parts dealer (like FordPartsGiant.com & TeamFordParts.com), or a junkyard. Where are you? (Put it in your profile.) If you live in salt country, you won't find any good used ones.

Speaking of your profile...
Fill in your signature so the truck's details show with every post. You can omit "F150" and "19.." since we assume that. But put the 2-digit year, engine size, transmission model, trim level, cab/bed configuration & wheelbase, transfer case model (if 4WD), gear ratio, tire size, miles (or KMs), mods, maintenance, damage, repairs, etc. If you run out of room, put it in a signature. If you don't know all the truck's details, read this caption & follow the links in it:

If there are any terms you don't understand, read this: Automotive Terms & Abbreviations

Uploading pics of your truck would also help. This forum supports pics, but it's easier to embed them in your posts if you follow the instructions at this link:
http://www.supermotors.net/forums/th...-and-or-videos

Old 11-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Steve, I appreciate it. I think I'm going to just put everything back together without them for now, since they seem hard to find. I'm in MI btw.

Quick Reply: 1996 4.9 Straight 6 Front Rotor question