Pre-1997 Models

steering column trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering column trouble

its been a little while since i have been on the forum, due to a comp crash.
my car is curently inside the garage for wheel bearing issue, i would like to look at the steering column
it has a wobble in it and i hear a poppin sound when turning. also it is not aligned with the wheels, if the car goes straight the steering wheel is not.

also i would like to know how i can remove this:, and what would i possibly need to replace.

its the ignition switch, the prev owner said that its like that cuz the key broke in it an the removed the key and did something for the steering wheel lock...

Last edited by johny89; 11-07-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's the ignition LOCK CYLINDER; the ignition switch is bolted to the column under the dash. The lock cylinder operates the switch via "actuators" inside the column, which commonly wear, bend, & break.

To remove the lock cylinder from a non-tilt column, first remove the 2 screws from the front (dash-side) of the steering wheel & pull the horn pad off. Then loosen the steering wheel nut & use a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off the splines. Then remove the nut & wheel. Then turn the key to RUN and use a sharp pick to press the lock cylinder release button, while pulling the key & lock cylinder out of the column.

. .

The popping & offcenter steering wheel are most likely front suspension or frame problems.

. .

Last edited by Steve83; 11-10-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve83
That's the ignition LOCK CYLINDER; the ignition switch is bolted to the column under the dash. The lock cylinder operates the switch via "actuators" inside the column, which commonly wear, bend, & break.

To remove the lock cylinder from a non-tilt column, first remove the 2 screws from the front (dash-side) of the steering wheel & pull the horn pad off. Then loosen the steering wheel nut & use a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off the splines. Then remove the nut & wheel. Then turn the key to RUN and use a sharp pick to press the lock cylinder release button, while pulling the key & lock cylinder out of the column.

Only proble is that i cant turn it any more...

Old 11-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Either call a pro, or start shopping for a used column. If you can find one, they're VERY easy to swap, and you can get tilt if you want. But I recommend rebuilding a used tilt column before installing it so the actuators don't break soon. If you can find one with broken actuators, it should be a LOT cheaper.

Quick Reply: steering column trouble