Pre-1997 Models

EGR / DPFE problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation EGR / DPFE problems

'96 XLT - 5.0L 4WD

Started off with a CEL and P0401 code.

Replaced the EGR valve and a cracked air intake pipe. This particular pipe has two small tubes on the side to connect two hoses to the DPFE sensor.

Everything was working fine but I started to notice that the larger of the two hoses (connected to the "HI" port on the DPFE sensor) kept popping off. I could open the throttle in the driveway and it would pop off everytime. I installed a hose clamp to keep it connected to the DPFE sensor. That worked for about half an engine hour, then the engine just started running terrible - like it was only hitting on 5-6 cylinders. I removed the hose clamp and disconnected the hose from the DPFE sensor and within a few minutes it was running fine again. With the hose disconnected, of course the CEL came back on (P0401).

I replaced the DPFE sensor but the same thing keeps happening - the "HI" hose pops off under hard acceleration.

Other than the replacements above, the only other thing I've done is run a tank of fuel with Techron fuel treatment.

Any ideas on what could be causing this or where to go from here?

Thanks

Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like you have an exhaust restriction, causing extra-high pressure in the EGR pipe.

Quick Reply: EGR / DPFE problems