Pre-1997 Models

95 f150 mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 f150 mods

Hi all, I'm new here. I have a 95 f150 5.0 4x4 with the metric overdrive automatic, she only has 232,335 miles on. I have done all the usual tune up mods new cap, rotor, plugs wires, plugs, coil, timing bump, took the coolant lines off the throttle body and hooked them together, took the air box apart and made my own cold air intake, did the seafoam in the hydrovac line, blocked off the egr (it was sticking open and causing a bad engine shutter and stalling), went with the shorter belt to bypass the smog pump (it was siezed), true dual exhaust no cats because with over 200,000 miles the guts were crumbled, when i first baught the truck it didnt run worth crap got maybe 6 mpg started doing the mods as i could afford them and gradually my mpg went up and the truck runs a hell of alot better its like having a new truck (wow) and i'm very happy with 15 mpg i get know. sorry for being so long winded. Is there any other tricks/weekend mods i could do (don't really want to get internal if i don't have to)? Thanks for letting me ramble!!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:50 PM
if u put a new egr on u should get anouther mpg. look at ur throttle body n see if its carboned up if it is take a lint free rag n wipe it out but do not use carb cleaner on it n with that many miles id replace the diff fluid n check the ring n pinion/ spiders wile u have the plate off change ur t-case fluid n id flush and put new fluid and filter in the trans flush the coolent stuff like that preventative maintenance universal joints

like i said about so many miles id just inspect everything so u dont have any suprizes and or catching a problem before its a big problem

Old 10-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the factory air filter box, and bypassing the throttle heater won't make enough difference to notice, even if you dyno it. EGR keeps the pistons from burning through, which might be of special concern to you since you're running more advance than you should.

The best thing you can do for it is use hi-quality parts (stay out of the zone) and follow the recommended maintenance schedule. For more MPG, air up the tires, empty out as much weight as you can, & try to avoid using the top half of the throttle. If you don't have a Haynes manual, get one & read it cover-to-cover a few times.

Read the RESULTS pages of Project MPG.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 PM
i had cleaned the throttle body and as much of the intake with a rag and cleaned the carbon out of the egr got that working again as for the fluid at 200,000 miles i changed all oils and inspected everything bumper to bumper. the air box is still there just opened the air inlet tube a bit instead of going to top of the radiator support it goes straight out. as for the timing i only went 2 degrees advance and theres no pinging or knocking at all. i only use napa parts because the garage i work for on the side only sells napa or if in dout use ford parts. tires are aired up and the bed is empty. and anyone that rides with me or follows me tells me i'm deffently a cruiser not a racer. thanks for the come backs.

Quick Reply: 95 f150 mods