Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Pre-1997 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-1997 Models

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 10-10-2011, 01:51 PM

Vehicle: 1994 ford f350
Transmission problems with no speedometer or odometer

I have a 1994 F350, 7.3 Diesel with E40D. I had the transmission overhauled about 30K miles ago. Now the transmission shifts roughly, jerks as you accelerate and sometimes when you de-cel. Drives normally at a higher speed. I also do not have speedometer and odometer not working. I checked the fuse at the fuse box, fuse is not broken. I talked to a mechanic who told me it could be a speed sensor, located on the rear axle housing. Is there a way to check the sensor without purchasing one and finding out that is not the problem. What else could be the problem? Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Ford F150
It could be the sensor, the wiring or the exciter ring on the diff carrier. Pull the sensor, clean it, check the wiring harness and connector for problems. If you can shine a flashlight into the sensor hole look in, turn the driveshaft and see if there are any bent or missing teeth on the exciter. If everything appears to be good re-install the sensor and see if it works. If it doesn't, you may want to pull the diff cover to inspect the exciter ring but that is not likely to be the issue.
1996 F-150 XLT, reg. cab 6.5' box, 4.9 I6. E4OD w/ B&M alum sump, auxiliary cooler and external filter, Addco 1" sway-bars F&R, Bilstein shocks, 16 x 8 AR Bajas w/255/70-16s, Line-X spray in liner, hinged tonneau, Reese hitch and electric brake controller, VDO tranny and engine oil temp gages, stainless pushbar, Hella 550 fog and driving lights, Hella backup/work lights, 3.73 Trac-Lok w/ an alum. diff. cover with cap support screws, PFC "Z" brake pads, high flow cat with a 2.5" cat back with a FM 70 muffler.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 PM

I clean the sensor and checked the harness. Earlier checked the fuse under the panel in the cab. Nothing is working, but I have not shine a flashlight to check the "exciter ring". Question, Will the sensor cause the speedometer not to work and the odometer not to luminate?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekerley View Post
...Question, Will the sensor cause the speedometer not to work and the odometer not to luminate?
THAT is a different symptom. Do you mean that the instrument lighting does not work or do you mean that the LCD odometer display is blank? If the odo were simply not getting a speed signal it would display an error code. If it is not displaying anything, most likely it is either burned out or not getting power. Since you've checked the fuses (there are 2), you need to check for power at the PSOM connector. The light green/yellow wire (#54) should be hot at all times, the white/pink wire (#296) should be hot in run
Old 10-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Sorry, I should have been more clear, the instrument panel does light, but the LCD odometer is blank. I will go and check the two wires you pointed out to see if they are hot. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 PM

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Bronco
Sounds like the PSOM is dead. Read this caption & follow the links in it:

. . .
Old 10-19-2011, 12:53 PM

Vehicle: 11 FULLsize ole' Ford rigs
Send a message via AIM to adrianspeeder Send a message via MSN to adrianspeeder Send a message via Yahoo to adrianspeeder
Sorry I missed this thread, after you check out Steve's collection of info, here are some more pictures I took when I swapped in a junkyard PSOM to my '95.

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/22140/75545

Adrianspeeder
Old 10-21-2011, 05:11 PM

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Bronco
Yo, Adrian! Why didn't you do the low fuel light mod, or the oil pressure mod?

. . .
Old 10-21-2011, 05:11 PM