Pre-1997 Models

1995 Steering Issues

Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Steering Issues

This is 2nd hand information so I will try and describe the problem bast I can.

My mom now owns my 95 F150, its the 5.0 with a 5 speed. So I get all the help requests. I then pull up f150online and ask you fine people for .

The problems:
1. She was driving and noticed a hot spot on the outer area of the steering wheel. She then pulled over and started checking the rest of the steering wheel and in the area of the horn/air bag she noticed it was hot also.

2. The other issue has to do with a creaking sounds that occurs when turning. Its been doing that for some time now. Im pretty sure it was making that creaking sound when I owned it, now she thinks its getting worse. Steering fluid is ok, should it be replace? Are there any other lube points that need to be greased? Is there something else I should be checking and/or could be the problem?

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I can't imagine what would be causing the steering wheel itself to get hot unless you had a bad exhaust leak at the manifold that was frying the steering shaft and conducting that heat all the way to the steering wheel. There shouldn't be anything electrical aside from the clockspring for the airbag/horn/cruise control running through the steering column, and it's not supplying power to anything continuously (or shouldn't be). As far as creaking noises, it's an old truck so I'd be checking suspension components and putting a wrench on bolts/nuts to ensure nothing is loose.

It is normal to hear a little groan or whine from the steering pump when turning while at slow speed or stopped.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1) The steering wheel was hot from being in the sun - nothing more.

2) Read these captions:

. . .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 Steering Issues