Pre-1997 Models

1995 F-150 Fuel Purge/Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
1995 F-150 Fuel Purge/Leak

Hey guys, my father has a 1995 F-150 with the step-side and dual tanks. 302 fuel-injected engine. He's only had the truck a year or two, but uses it less than once a month for running to Lowe's, etc. Anyhoo, yesterday we were outside and the truck (had been sitting in the driveway for 2+hrs) spewed out some fuel from the passenger side front. We popped the hood to see what was up, and it looks like it came from the charcoal canister. We pulled one of the caps off of the charcoal canister and we could see raw fuel filled to the top. Another thing, is that there was a vent-tube coming out of the canister that wasn't connected to anything (end of it looked like it should have been going somewhere).

I have to assume that as the ambient temps were rising, the fuel pressure in the tanks built up and the fuel purge was just supposed to release pressure.

Question #1: WTH? lol. Is this a sign that the purge valve is bad, the charcoal canister is bad, fuel pump issue, fuel cap issue?

Question #2: Where is the evap line supposed to connect to as opposed to dumping ram fuel/fumes right next to the alternator/exhaust manifold (fire hazard deluxe).

Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Fuel in the canister is a symptom - the root is an overfilled tank, which is caused by an internal leak in the fuel delivery module (FDM) inside the tank. Read this caption & the others in that album:

But the presence of liquid gas in the vapor system also suggests a problem with at least one of the rollover valves in the tops of the tanks:

1) None of this suggests any problems with the CANP valve, the canister, the pumps, or the caps.

2) The CANP hose goes from the canister to the CANP solenoid valve near the throttle body.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Lol, I was wondering if I was going to get a response, I wasn't sure how "active" this part of the forum was. I didn't figure it was a problem with the canister specifically, but I didn't know if being full of raw fuel made the canister unusable. I didn't ask if he'd recently filled up, so I don't know the status on that, but I did open up both gas caps and they released pressure from the tank as I would expect.

My workplace's firewall is blocking out the links you provided (all I get are red x's), but I will review it when I get home. Is the FDM/rollover valve replacable independently of the fuel pump itself, or is it usually one complete unit? Also, should the hose coming off of the canister be connected to the intake somehow?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The FDM contains the pump; the rollover valve pops into the top of the tank. Click my signature text, go to my '83 Bronco, and go to the '90-96 Fuel album.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:02 PM
I appreciate the excellent info. I think we're going to just pull the bed off and replace both fuel pump assemblies and both rollover valves/grommets while we're there. To add a notation, the truck had not been filled up recently and the tanks weren't more than 3/4 full at the most.

Quick Reply: 1995 F-150 Fuel Purge/Leak