Pre-1997 Models

4.9 idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.9 idea

ive had some ideas about somthing to do to a 4.9 now i know it will never be a v8 i know it probly be cheaper just to go with a v8 but id want to do this just to say i did it

i wat to get a mid lat 70s 4.9 do a slight bore with bigger pistons
valve job with a port and polish gasket matchin intake and exhaust on both sides aftermarket cam headers and a 4 barrel intake a nice holly carb
tru duals no cats just a set of supper 44s

thro and m50d or a tremmic behind it

i dont know i just think it be pretty sweet

Old 08-22-2011, 11:37 AM
You can make wicked power from these, by inline six numbers.
Check out Clifford http://www.cliffordperformance.net/index.html
Comp cams has all the stuff you would need for a cam swap too.
I was planning the same thing, but stick with efi, never had the money for it though.
With a cam headers and dual exhaust these things can sound bad *** and a half, check some youtube of an inline with a cam.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Clifford is a joke. Jack Clifford died years ago and the people who have run the company since have discontinued most of his old product line and raised prices on the rest. What is even worse is that they don't have a clue about how engines work and their "tech support" is pretty much sales hype. Anything which can be bought from Clifford can be had better for less from other sources

Try hanging out here:
www.fordsix.com
Lots of expertise on that board

Old 08-25-2011, 03:17 PM
If you do end up doing this let me know!
I was thinking when my 4.9 die's that I was just going to swap a 94+ 302 in and go from there...but if I can keep my 4.9 and up the umph a bit that would be sweet.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM
if u do a swap dont do 302 do 351 small block 4.9 is better for towing then a 302. 302 just has speed over the 4.9 but i love thes 4.9s they outlast the 302s also

Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by bigboy5011
If you do end up doing this let me know!
I was thinking when my 4.9 die's that I was just going to swap a 94+ 302 in and go from there...but if I can keep my 4.9 and up the umph a bit that would be sweet.
Hahahaha good joke man, 4.9's don't die.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 PM
yeah u can run a 4.9 with no oil or water n they will still run knock like hell tho

Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 AM
LoL ok...I guess a 351 would do it then! I was just saying a 302 cause I could run more parts...
But then again I have been looking into a hydrogen set up...I have a buddy I work with that is going to do it on his truck, (03 F350), and he is very excited...

Old 08-28-2011, 11:55 PM
If your talking about the hydrogen generator that creates "browns gas" I think you'll be spending quite a bit of time and money to do absolutely nothing. There was a lot of hype in this "system" a few years back that left a lot of disgruntled people in its wake. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe hydrogen doesn't do jack as a fuel unless its seriously compressed.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 AM
The problem with hydrogen is that the hydrolysis to separate it from water takes more energy than it produces. It's that whole Second Law of Thermodynamics thing.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by bikertrash3531
If your talking about the hydrogen generator that creates "browns gas" I think you'll be spending quite a bit of time and money to do absolutely nothing. There was a lot of hype in this "system" a few years back that left a lot of disgruntled people in its wake. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe hydrogen doesn't do jack as a fuel unless its seriously compressed.
It doesn't need to crazy of a compression. people ran it in stock engines ranging in years with no problem.
But if I was to do it I would up my comp to 10:1 at least to get the full benifit.
And they did find a way to help with the "takes more power to produce then it supplies" problem. They have a weird unit that hooks to a wheel and has a small generator that works on a turbine kind of thing. Similar to a toyota prius has and such...guess it is suppose to produce 80% of the power you need while crusing. I am hoping it works! Could you imagine getting 30mpg in a 91 f150 that is pushing 300hp!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 AM
And they did find a way to help with the "takes more power to produce then it supplies" problem.
No they haven't. It is a physical and chemical impossibility. To oversimplify it a bit: in a perfect universe, the energy required to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen would be exactly the same as the energy which is gained by combusting them. If you could actually create energy by running the process in the opposite direction you would violate the First Law of Thermodynamics. However we do not live in a perfect universe. There are always energy losses associated with any process, (again the Second Law).

Please do yourself a favor and learn a bit about the chemistry behind electrolysis before you parrot the claims of some snake-oil vendor who contradicts centuries of very, very well defined and quantified science.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
No they haven't. It is a physical and chemical impossibility. To oversimplify it a bit: in a perfect universe, the energy required to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen would be exactly the same as the energy which is gained by combusting them. If you could actually create energy by running the process in the opposite direction you would violate the First Law of Thermodynamics. However we do not live in a perfect universe. There are always energy losses associated with any process, (again the Second Law).

Please do yourself a favor and learn a bit about the chemistry behind electrolysis before you parrot the claims of some snake-oil vendor who contradicts centuries of very, very well defined and quantified science.
I didnt know we had a noble winning scientist on the forum, good to know when I need to help my fiance with her chem!

The generator used runs on either 12v or 24v systems depending on the engine being used. The people who run around saying it takes to much power to seperate and what not are just going with the along with the media.
Now that being said...this is just from what Ive seen personally. I am looking into the swap, and have a coworker that is gathering the parts to apply it in his f350. I have seen a car that runs on this system, they had to up their alt and install a solar pannel on the top of their car. But it did help them get better mpg in the long haul once you work all the bugs out.
This system is not suppose to be 100% Hydrogen, just part mixed in with your gas. I dont have a phd in chem, but I do have decent knowledge with gases and engines...But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Dont knock it till you try it I always say!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm an engineer not a scientist. I'll make you the same offer I've made to other proponents of these systems:

Don't tell me some anecdote about some guy that your brother in law knows who knows a guy who built a system. Show me the reaction equations including the energy inputs and outputs that proves the system produces more energy than it consumes and I'll listen because you will win the Nobel Prize for Chemistry for overturning several centuries of thermodynamics research.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Dont knock it till you try it I always say!
Engineering?

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: 4.9 idea