Pre-1997 Models

4x4 wont disengage!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 wont disengage!

hey guys, i have a 95 bronco, electronic 4x4, which im going to make manuel ASAP, anyways, i went mudding a couple days back, and my 4x4 wouldnt engage wen i needed it, after about 10min of running in 2wd, then 4x4 engaged, now the light that says its engaged wont turn off for nothing, i freed the hubs so it wouldnt be a rough ride on the rode. What do i do to fix this problem for now so i can get back to 2wd???

Old 08-16-2011, 12:02 PM
i never messed to much with the electronic transfercase but in my 93 my shift linkage bound up in 4wheel high so i went uner nieth and disconected the lincage n manualy put it in 2wd. im assuming u can do the same with the electric motor either try and put it in 2wd by hand or u may have to pull the motor off to manualy put it in 2wd.

or u could since you are already switchin it to manual just remove the front drive shaft till you switch it. ur t-case will still be tuurning but it woulnt be turning the diff

Old 08-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Whoa whoa, no need to drop the shaft.

Just unbolt the transfer case shifter motor from the back of the trasfer case, and see whats going on. Just letting it hang, have someone cycle the buttons while watching. Remember neutral with brake on for 4low.

If your motor is fried, you can simply turn the shaft with pliers to whatever gear you want.

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It'll be cheaper & easier to fix the motor than to convert to manual shift. Read this caption:

Old 08-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Whoa whoa, no need to drop the shaft.

Just unbolt the transfer case shifter motor from the back of the trasfer case, and see whats going on. Just letting it hang, have someone cycle the buttons while watching. Remember neutral with brake on for 4low.

If your motor is fried, you can simply turn the shaft with pliers to whatever gear you want.

Adrianspeeder
I hear the first clcik by the connections by the passenger side door, but not the second click that turns the 4x4 light on and off, could that mean im engaging and disegaging 4x4, jus my light wont turn off?

Old 08-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Did you...

Originally Posted by adrianspeeder

Adrianspeeder
...Can't do it for ya over the internet.

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 AM
i had same problem with my old ranger, and i did the manual swap on mine. dealer wanted $300 for a new motor he said may only last a year. i had a manual shift t-case from an older ranger laying around, found the linkage at the junkyard, cut a hole in my floor and for less than the price of a new motor, solved my problem for good. already had warn lockout hubs, and the only difference was i had to use the front driveshaft from the swaped in case because it was a slip yoke not fixed. i realize it costs more if you dont have the stuff just laying around, but the electric motor problem was forever solved.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:29 PM
A new motor is about 90 bucks at Napa.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: 4x4 wont disengage!