Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Pre-1997 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-1997 Models

Old 08-05-2011, 07:04 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Ford F150
Stalls when braking or going down hill

My engine has started stalling when I go down a hill or hit the brakes. Not real fun when your in traffic and lose your PS and your brakes. This has happened a couple of times over the past year or so, but the past 2 days it has happened a lot, maybe 15 times on my 3 mile drive to work.

Anybody got a clue where to start on this?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 08-05-2011, 11:26 PM

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Bronco
Start by opening the hood & looking/listening for anything odd, just like any other engine problem: a basic visual inspection. Then maybe pull codes, read the vacuum map and check the hoses, pull some spark plugs & read them, see how many layers of filth are on the air filter, check fuel pressure & all fluid levels, clean/tighten the battery terminals...

. . . . .

. . .

Last edited by Steve83; 08-05-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:51 AM

Vehicle: 1995 Ford F150
Thanks for the reply Steve.

I have a feeling that it is the FPR. I pulled the vacuum line off and it smells like gas. This would make sense since if it is flooding out when i let off the gas.

How hard is it to get that thing off? Looks like an allen screw or hex head (it was dark when I was looking).

Thanks,
Michael
Old 08-06-2011, 02:11 PM

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhoward View Post
How hard is it...?
The unanswerable question... 7? 251? For some people: nigh on impossible. Compared to changing the heater core on a Land Rover: EASY. I don't know what tools you have, or what you've done before, or what your work area is like.

A question that I can ALMOST answer is: what's the procedure to change it? Well, some FPRs have fasteners that face up; others, down. So some can be wrestled out without much disassembly, but people who have done it say it's not fun, and it's easy to drop the tiny screws, especially in the 4.9's intake cage. When I changed this one, I pulled the plenum & fuel rail, and it was "easy" to me, compared to a lot of other things.

Check these out:

Last edited by Steve83; 08-06-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:11 PM