Pre-1997 Models

Window Broken, Door Latch Broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Broken, Door Latch Broken

1992 F150 XLT -- The door handle snapped off. Okay, I may have tugged on it a bit too hard. That shouldn't be too hard to fix. what steps would you take.

After reaching outside to open the door, the power window decided to stop working. Goes down about 4 inches and stops. Sometimes when you turn the truck on, the window will return to the closed position. It will not go down farther than the 4 inches. When it broke, I heard a 'clunk, clunk' from inside the door panel as I was raising it. It went all the way up okay, but next I lowered it, it only went down 4 inches.

Since I will be fixin' the door handle, might as well fix that window too.

Now, a word about my abilities: best conveyed in a story. I have a father-in-law who can fix anything, so when once I locked the truck with the keys in it, he was quick to try to fix it. "Got a crowbar?" he asked. I retrieved one quickly and in a few seconds we were taking turns trying to pry that door open.

My wife heard the noise (and cussing) and came out to see what was going on. She watched us for a minute or two and then casually walked over, reached through the window, and pulled the door lock up.

Neither one of us had noticed that the window was down.

Actually, that is a true story. So when you explain how to fix the door handle and the window mechanism, choose your words according to MY skill level and not yours.

Ty

Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Click my black Bronco in my signature & read all the captions in the Doors album, and follow the links. There's a recall or TSB about the latch & inside handle mechanism, so that could explain why the handle broke. But it's just as likely that the door is misaligned, causing excessive force to be necessary to open it, and aligning the doors is always a good idea.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the window motor had 3 little pieces of plastic that deteriorate thats why ur window screws up if you take your door pannel off u should c the motor thru the hole but u can only c one bolt but on the metal over the motor u will c 2 dimples drill them out with a 1/2 inch drill bit then take out the speaker get a 5/16th socket and extenchen and remove the 3 bolts holding the motor and reach in thru the speaker hole to remove. once out get a good work area and take the screw holding the plate on the motor and remove. now u should see a greasy mess of a big plastic gear with a steal gear inside of it remove them and clean up all the grease.

go to any auto parts stor and ask for a regear kit
it should come with new gears plate and new grease
"the gears are made as a unit so its very simple"

not when u get home greas the plastic gear very well and re instal into motor.then squirt the rest of the grease evenly thru out the motor install your new plate and screw and re install the opposite as taking out.

if u get the part before u start its quicker

took me 30 mins from taking the door pannel off the putting the door pannel on

Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
sounds like you need a window regulator, or at a minimum replace those notorious dowel pins

Quick Reply: Window Broken, Door Latch Broken