Pre-1997 Models

Clutch pedal, finally gunna fix it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch pedal, finally gunna fix it.

It's worse than ever, I'm sick of doing half assed fixes every month.
There's a crazy amount of slop between the pedals and it looks like the bracket is starting to actually crack/deteriorate around the clutch push rod portion of the cross shaft type deal.
So from LMC here http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/t.aspx?Page=38
What all parts/ numbers do I need to fix it all. And is there anywhere that would sell the parts cheaper than LMC? I tried rockauto it seems they don't got the stuff.
Will I need a new master cylinder and pushrod? The I.D. of the pushrod eye is pretty well messed up.
And if you look at this steve, how did you do the copper sleeve thing pictured here http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/72301
There is a buttload of play in my accelerator cable and I've been trying to think of way to tighten it up.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Read this & the next several:

Just bend a piece of metal (I started with a small copper tube & slit it) around the cable so it takes up the slack. Or you could stack zip-ties.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:12 PM
I've read that article, that still doesn't tell me what I actually need to fix my problem.
Do I need the bracket? Do I need all of the bushings? Do I need the cross shafts?
It's really difficult to just look up under the dash and see what all breaks on these things, I was hoping someone could tell me what Is generally needed to fix this problem and you go and tell me to read an article about the pedal assemblies for a complete different model year.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Right - I'm not clairvoyant, omniscient, or omnipresent. If you want your truck fixed, you're gonna have to get your hands dirty, and spend some time. Those pics show how it's done - not necessarily on YOUR truck, but on one VERY similar, and at least one of the differences IS mentioned in the captions.

But if you can't extrapolate anything from them, ignore them.

BTW
It's not a "complete different model year"; there are more similarities between your pedals & mine than virtually any other pair of vehicles you might choose.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 AM
So how can I tell what I do need? Will I have to take it all apart. I really hate to be dropping the column and all that stuff more than once.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Then go to the JY, buy a complete set of pedals out of a truck like yours, and then swap them. Don't try to replace 1 part - toss the whole bad assembly & put in a good one. Yes, the column has to come down, and you MIGHT even have to pull the dash back (but I doubt it). But what's your other choice?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Okay, will the pedal assembly from I guess an 87 with the old 4 speed granny gear trans be the same? That's the only jy truck that I know of for sure in a close area that's a stick. The other ones are autos from what I've seen so far.
What about using the assembly from a 92-96 or would that only complicate the matter?

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal, finally gunna fix it.