Pre-1997 Models

Speaker Troubles

Old 07-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker Troubles

Hey all! I have a 1992 F-150 XLT (pics in the pics thread) and I'm having some trouble with my speakers/radio. When I crank the volume just loud enough to hear with road noise, the passenger side speakers cut in and out. And if I crank it any louder, they cut out for good. At least until I bring the volume back down. Needless to say, this is very annoying! I'm pretty new to wiring or any kind of electrical, so my main question is where should I start?

I'm assuming it's a faulty connection of some kind, hopefully not a bad speaker. Is there a way to check the speaker connections without taking all the door panels off? Also, should I check the wiring to/from the radio itself? It has the stock ford radio by the way. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have started having the same issues. Passenger side does same on mine. I have not checked the wires or if the speakers are just going out. Guess the door panel is going to have to come off. Any one else have any pointers for us?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Probably bad speakers, but unplug the connector for the passenger door in the R kick panel and see if the symptom persists. If not, temporarily connect another speaker. This diagram gives the wire colors:

If the symptom remains, it's either bad wiring, or a bad radio/amp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speaker Troubles