Pre-1997 Models

timing gear R&R

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing gear R&R

Just blew my timing gear and was wondering if anyone knows if these 4.9's are a non interference engine? I didn't hear anything that sounded like metal on metal, but.... Noticed my crank gear has no puller taps either. Are these just a soft fit and slide off the crank with a bit of persuasion?

Last edited by Islandbuoy; 06-25-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:21 PM
A bit of persuasion and a gear puller works better. Since you're going to replace those fiber gears with real metal ones (you are going to switch to metal, aren't you?), you don't have to be real careful about pulling it. You can cut it apart with a Dremel just be careful not to damage the crank

Also... Do NOT lose the wedding ring spacer on the camshaft. Ford no longer stocks them and be very careful of the camshaft thrust plate/retainer plate. It is extremely brittle and very easy to break.

At least some of the broken bits of the fiber gears are in your oil pan so you may want to consider pulling and cleaning it as well.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Just found your post (Steve83) on another board regarding my non interference question. No, I'll be using the "quieter" composite gear on the repair. I think when I had the motor rebuilt they didn't change the timing gear and slid her right back in. As a composite tech for alota years and with my own shop for ten, I can say pretty certain that a gear should last more than 50,000 miles. I've seen them go at 100, but not this low a count without damage when installing or faulty part. If I add my old miles to the rebuild it had 280,000 on it. Had a peek in #1 hole and the piston top looks barely used. I own a marine oil extractor so I think I'll pull the oil out the front of the pan rather than wash any gear crumbs towards the oil pickup. Flushing will go quicker too. I'm planning on cutting the hub of the cam tomorrow. The crank gear looks just fine so if I can't get it to move without alot of muckin about, I'll just rotate the new gear into place. Anyone know what tap & thread size the cam is for re-installing?

Last edited by Islandbuoy; 06-26-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My engine has over 450Kmi on the original timing set, and I don't baby it. The entire engine is original, and it runs like new. I'd never put a steel cam gear in it.

Why do you think you need a tap to put the cam gear on? I've always done them by hand.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi Steve83,

I was refering to using a bolt with a nut and fender washer to slide the new gear onto the camshaft. Hey just how does the Ford removel tool grab the cam gear with only 50 thou or so room?

Last edited by Islandbuoy; 06-26-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added question
Old 06-26-2011, 11:13 PM
It hooks into the 2 large holes in the web of the gear...and frequently takes it off in pieces.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Well back home from workin the patch and thought I'd update the thread to say job complete! Had to pull the pan after all couldn't reach all the gear leftovers. Ended up cutting off the timing gear hub via flex shaft dremel. Took dam near as long as pulling the cam shaft, but without all the extra parts. So over all was less work really. If I had to do it again I'd pull the rad and use a die grinder for the major cuts. no room with the rad in place.

Quick Reply: timing gear R&R