Pre-1997 Models

'96 300c.i.-6 PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 300c.i.-6 PROBLEM

Hello. New to the forum. Have a 1996 F-150 w/4.9-6 with a problem. It has 149000 miles on it. Will sometimes start right up as if OK but after running a while will shut as if the ignition swich was turned off. I had it running a few days ago and turned it off normally but now will crank just fine but makes no attempt to start.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
IIRR, that year also had an ignition module (basically a coil) that was prone to failure from engine heat- it's a simple replacement.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Well, doing the old process of elimination method of repair. Bought new coil, installed, still won't start. Also bought the ignition module. I was successful in removing the module on the heat sink from the inner fender, BUT, no matter how hard I try to pull off the connector it won't budge. Also, the module is attached to the heat sink with 2 small hex screws that are in a recess just barely bigger than the screws and so deep the socket won't go far enough in so I really can't even tell what size socket it needs. Oh well. Anyone have any solutions? This is frustrating!!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 PM
UPDATE AND QUESTION (AGAIN). I'm told (if anyone is interested) that the screws that secure the module to the heat sink require a 5.5mm or 7/32 thinwall deep socket which is not easy to locate at local auto parts houses. My question is does anyone have an idea to separate the connector to the module w/o damaging it. I have pulled as hard as possible and tried prying without any luck. IDEAS??

Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
First: stop swapping parts. It's an expensive & usually unproductive way to diagnose a problem.

Second: buy an older edition of the Haynes manual, and a digital multimeter ($15-50). Read this caption:

3rd: the '92-up TFI-IV ICM RARELY fails, but if you suspect it's bad, follow the procedure in this caption:

4th: any decent parts store should have that tool for ~$3-6, but some standard sockets will fit with some effort. If you remove the heat sink from the fender (again, I don't think you should), you'll be able to read on the connector catch where it says "PU-SH". Push the split tab down, and the connector pulls out easily.

5th: before you do anything else, read this caption:

Quick Reply: '96 300c.i.-6 PROBLEM