Pre-1997 Models

Fixed Fuel tank selector , now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed Fuel tank selector , now won't start

In getting my truck 1991 F150, 302 EFI, E4OD, ready for inspection I remounted the fuel tank selector switch and the transmission overdrive switch. The tank switch was glued in to the rear tank position. I figured this happened when the previous owner tried to remount the switch. I got it unstuck; put everything back together and now it won’t start. I did notice that the when the front tank was chosen, the gauge would read beyond full. I will run my checks this evening, ( too hot yesterday to fool with it). Any tips on things I should check, besides the obvious spark, power to pumps etc.?
Thank you.
Jim Barringer

Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd start by testing the power at the switch, and jumpering the connector to bypass it. Y/Wh is signal going to the gauge; R/Y is power from the inertia switch. This shows the tank wire colors:

This caption describes how to lock the FP relay on with the key in RUN:

Regardless of what faults you find, I always recommend the mod in this caption & the next few for all pre-'92 EFI trucks:

One more thing to check - smell the EEC near the e-brake. If it stinks, read this thread:
http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewt...p?f=21&t=97221

Old 06-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve:

Thank you for the suggestions. It turns out that the old switch was bad. I have put in a replcement and the truck starts right up. The replacment is a Dorman for a 92 on and does not fit exactly. Does anyone know of a source for a correct fuel tank selector switch for a 90-91?

Thank you.

Jim Barringer

Old 06-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Junkyard, dealership, Parts+Plus, RockAuto, LMC Truck, JBG, or I think I have a few in my junkpile. If you can't find one, e-mail me thru my profile.

Quick Reply: Fixed Fuel tank selector , now won't start