Pre-1997 Models

1992 Long Starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 Long Starting

I have had this truck since new and it always started easy. Now it is giving me problems.

Single gas tank, fuel/air filters, wires, plugs and all the normal tune up stuff has been replaced not long ago.
The truck does sit sometimes for a week between starts.

It cranks hard and sounds like it wants to start. I hear the fuel pump running.
Then it will start and run and drive fine and for the rest of the day it will start as soon as I turn the key.
Some days it will still start right away. Other days it takes a long time before it finally starts.
Only once it started and as I started down the street it went dead and took a while to get started but after that it ran fine and started every time.

It has 192,000 miles on it and I am not used to it not being dependable. I have to go to the auto parts store tomorrow, I may have them read the codes and see if it leads me anywhere.

If I had to guess, I would say it is a fuel problem or maybe a vacuum leak somewhere.
I appreciate any help.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not gonna tell us what engine? Read this caption & post ALL the truck's details:

Include things like transmission model, trim level, transfer case model, gear ratio, tire size, mods, maintenance, damage, repairs, etc.

You don't have to go to a parts store to read the codes, and they probably don't know how to do it anyway. Read this caption & follow the links in it:

This album describes the fuel system:

Vacuum leaks are easy to find with a mechanic's stethoscope or 3' of garden hose. Just let the engine idle & listen all around the intake & hoses for an obvious hiss.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the information and getting me on the right track. I will get all that information and post it here soon. I spent all morning changing radiator in my back up car as my wife is going to the beach for a week and I needed a vehicle I can trust.
It is a 5.0 with a 4EOD Transmission 4X4 Regular cab.

This morning it just would not start. It turned over strong and sounded like it wanted to start. I thought the fuel pump was louder than normal but I am not positive on that.
I tried holding the pedal down and cycling the key.
It acted like it was flooded. I left it for an hour and came back and it started, blew out smoke, I smelled gas, and then went to running OK. I have started it ten times in the last three hours and it fires up immediately.
This is just for information as I plan to try all the things above as soon as time permits.
Thanks

Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Well, I discovered the fuel pumps sounded louder than normal because they never stopped running. I took it to a friend with a code reader and through some research we decided it was the ECM, computer or whatever Ford calls it.
I bought one at the Auto parts store $130, and installed it.
Truck fired right up, no CEL, fuel pumps stopped after a few seconds.

I am still not 100% sure of the fix so I just drove it around the neighbor hood streets. Seemed to run fine, It idles well except sitting still with the A/C on. It seems as if the idle is not stepping up or not enough.
Is this something the new computer will learn and fix or do I need to fix something else?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The EEC will learn the idle over time. If it doesn't adjust, look for a vacuum leak. Read the bottom few paragraphs of this caption:

This thread might interest you, too:
http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewt...p?f=21&t=97221

Quick Reply: 1992 Long Starting