Pre-1997 Models

fallingdrivers side window

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fallingdrivers side window

Hello,

my drivers side on my 92 xlt falls on its own and im trying to find out of the resolution is obvious or more to it.

the power window switch does nothing. so i either have a bad switch or window motor. the switch powers the passenger side window just fine. i just have issues with the drivers side.

now if the window motor is bad, will this cause the window to fall? all my experiences in the past with bad window motors is that it seizes in one place. ive done peeking on the window and its attached to the track and arm. i can manually pull it up and down and can see the arm go up and down and the track that is attached to the base of the window stays attached.

ive never been an electrical guru so i have not busted out the tester. to be honest, i wouldnt know where to start. im not an idiot, i just havent worked on it before. i usually find the answers online but i cant find a post or article with the same symptoms..

so can my fellow f150 brothers/sisters here please give me some guidance or tips.

thanks,

Rob

Old 05-10-2011, 11:34 PM
I had the same problem on my truck. All I had to do was simply tighten the bolts that hold the window motor in place. I believe they were 7/16". Out side of that I don't know.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Did your motor make any noise to prove it was atleast functioning?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 AM
No noise just that when I hit the switch to put it up I could see a pull on the battery gauge. My window won't go down so it leaves me to believe my switch is the culprit. Tightening the bolts however kept my window up.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:03 AM
I'm not 100% on this but there could be a brake on the shaft. If it requires power to release the brake and the motor then isn't working, the glass could drop. It could also be that the gearhead on the motor has worn out and the two gears are jumping past each other. Is the motor working? If you can pop the panel off and run the window up and down, this would help. With the panel off try working the window with and without resistance. ie; just grab the glass and try running it up and down. Is there four or six wires on the plug?

Old 05-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Pictures how to remove and rebuild the torque pins in the window motor.

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/8571/28339

About 3bucks at napa for the new parts.

There is no brake, it is a worm drive.

Adrianspeeder

Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The falling window is one issue; the inoperative motor could be another. But the volt gauge movement suggests the switches are working perfectly. Read these captions for more info:

Quick Reply: fallingdrivers side window