Pre-1997 Models

smog pump hose connector missing

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smog pump hose connector missing

I have 93 302.... If you foillow the hose from the smog pump, back to the engine block, located at the top of the engine. back near the fire wall. It is here that this hos connects to the block through a big hex 1 1/4 inch fitting.

My problem is that when inspecting this hose,,, I found it not connected to anything, just a hose thee with a clamp around its end. It seems that there must be a pressure fitted nipple, that goes in to the block, and then connects to the hose with a clamp. I do not have a nipple,, it is not there must have rustted out or fallen . I need to get this part,, if it is one,,, from the auto parts store,,, but do not know what to call it, I had the truck down there ,,,,counterman looked at it,,, but could not help. \\\\\\PLease tell me what this is called,,,, and tell me if I can get it from the parts store or through dealer. Thanks

Old 04-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 PM
diagram

Is this the same motor and set up as my 302 1993 f150?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:12 PM
In this area, yes. Other things are different, but this is the same.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:42 PM
diagram

Thanks for the pictures of the motors, from them I was able to tell,, that it is the check valve that is what I need to get.

The lower half of the check valve is still screwed in to its mooring while that top half must have been broken off.

May be this is typical?

Anyway thanks so much

Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 PM
VERY typical. You may end up having to buy the entire crossover tube (that the check valve is screwed into). To be safe, pull the crossover tube off of the motor, put it in a vice and take the check valve off from there. Many times if you try it any other way you will bind up the crossover tube, and need a new one. You may still break the tube when it's in a vice, but at least you tried to save it. Spray PB blaster on the check valve to help break it loose; and just be careful.

To pull the crossover tube off of the motor, it's easier to lay under the truck and look up the bell housing of the transmission\look up the exhast pipe. You should be able to see it from there and get a rachet on it.

If this is happening, then its a good possibility that your plastic vacuum lines are broke\on their way out too. Click the link in my Sig that says Rubber Vacuum System for an article I wrote on switching it all out for rubber.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The caption of that photo contains diagrams that show more detail. Scroll down & click them.

Quick Reply: smog pump hose connector missing