Pre-1997 Models

"New" '93 F150 XL; tips, advice, suggestions?

Old 03-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"New" '93 F150 XL; tips, advice, suggestions?

Hi all, my dad gave me his stock '93 F150 XL (4.9L I6, 2WD) and I've been browsing around the last few days trying to learn what I can about the truck so I can figure out what I'd like to do with it. First thing's first, I'll be taking it in shortly for a tune up, etc., but after that I might be interested in adding to it a bit.

First, do you have any suggested reading, warnings, tips, or suggestions for upgrades?

Second, I assume it would be a total pain to convert to 4WD? I'm not really looking to go off roading much but I do like hiking in some places where it'd help out or be required to get there and it'd be nice to have in winter. Am I better off selling it and getting something with 4WD than messing with a conversion?

Thanks all!

Edit: This is a really dumb question, but I'm new to trucks so please forgive the ignorance. My dad said it has a tow package (he didn't do this, he bought it this way) installed and it looks like the back end is lifted. How do I check to see if the back end has been lifted for the purpose of towing?

Last edited by jremick; 03-17-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:20 AM
You'd be better off buying a 4 wheel drive than messing with a conversion. We did it in high school on a beater 84...mind you it was carburated... and had a doner truck, but as I real keeper I wouldn't mess with it

Old 03-18-2011, 09:04 PM
As said, it's alot of work to convert it to 4wd...the money you would dump into it would far exceed the cost of buying a decent used 4wd. Something to consider- a small lift (leveling kit or 2 inch lift) with some larger tires, and a limited slip rear end. It will take you a little further off road, and with the limited slip, will provide better traction. There is a guy in our off road club that has a 2wd shortbed 6 cyl XL and has the leveling kit and 32/11.50's, and does pretty well with the big boys. He doesnt blaze trails, but he plods along pretty good. He actually has run the outer beach a few times, and if he has enough trail and his tires are down, he floats over the sand. Course, we're all with him so if he gets stuck we ****** him out.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Here's what I've learned since the first post...

1) It's actually a 5.8L V8. I don't know how I came to the conclusion that it was a 4.9L I6 when a simple peek under the hood was all that was needed. Figured that out real quick when replacing air filter, brake pads & oil.

2) I didn't know that these trucks were built **** up so they would even out when towing, haha. So I've added a leveling kit to my list of to-dos.

3) I plan on putting a set of 31"s on with new wheels for appearances and a little more grip off road.

4) As you guys stated, if I want 4x4, I just need to buy something with it.

5) I strongly dislike the guide pins you have to pinch and drive out to pull off the front calipers. I wish they'd used bolts like all the other vehicles I've used. Either way, the new brake pads are great and I'm happy for now.

- -

New questions:

I've read a little about putting new headers and exhaust on these V8s, any recommendations?

Any recommendations for improving the stock suspension?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Put a E-locker in the rear axle, and load the bed down in the winter, and you should go anywhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "New" '93 F150 XL; tips, advice, suggestions?