Pre-1997 Models

Couple questions about my '95

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple questions about my '95

1) The memory wire for the stereo stopped getting power when I put a new (to me) radio in. I can't find a blown fuse or anything in the fusebox, is there a hidden/inline one somewhere?

2) My shifter is pretty lose, and I occasionally have to ram it in to Park to get the truck to start. Can I adjust the shift cable somehow, or do I just replace it?

3) I hit 200,000 miles towards the end of last year. Anything in particular I need to check/replace beyond the normal maintenance and tune-up type stuff?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) Are you sure you wired the radio correctly? There's a "hot at all times" wire on pin 8 and a "hot in acc or run" wire on pin 6 on the Ford side of the connector. Do you have the proper radio wires to the matching pins on the radio side?

2) Have you checked the Transmission Range Sensor? They are known to occasionally require adjustment

Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
1) Are you sure you wired the radio correctly? There's a "hot at all times" wire on pin 8 and a "hot in acc or run" wire on pin 6 on the Ford side of the connector. Do you have the proper radio wires to the matching pins on the radio side?

2) Have you checked the Transmission Range Sensor? They are known to occasionally require adjustment
1) Yes, I'm sure it's wired correctly. It's actually kind of a strange story: I installed a Sony headunit ~6 years ago and it worked fine. A friend gave me a better Sony headunit, so I swapped it in and used the same harness as before. It wouldn't turn on, so I put my old radio back in and it wouldn't turn on either. Even my stock Ford radio doesn't work now. The only way I've been able to get one of the Sony headunits to work is by connecting what would be the Memory wire to the switched power wire.

2) I'll look into it. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Look for a break in the hot at all times wire wire. It's not shorting or it would have blown a fuse. You did check the fuse box, didn't you? On a 96, it's fuse #1 in the engine compartment fuse box

Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 AM
There are two nuts /bolts ( don't remember now ) right under the coulmn that I have had to tighten on my 95 that hold the coulmn up tight . When they work loose they will make the shifter loose and hard to get into park . You might try a little loctite or a nylock nut if it becomes a problem . I've had to do it twice on 220,000 miles . hope this helps

Old 03-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Look for a break in the hot at all times wire wire. It's not shorting or it would have blown a fuse. You did check the fuse box, didn't you? On a 96, it's fuse #1 in the engine compartment fuse box
/Facepalm

I guess I never checked the Power Distribution box very thoroughly because there was a blown fuse in there that my manual has listed as Audio Power. I had only checked the Radio fuse in the interior fuse box before. I definitely feel like a moron right now.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Let me guess?
Changed the radio without first disconnecting the battery?
Don't ask me how I know.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Let me guess?
Changed the radio without first disconnecting the battery?
Don't ask me how I know.
Yep

One more question: I've got a squealing type noise coming from the front of the motor until it warms up. The belt/tensioner/idler pulley/alternator have all been replaced at some point in the last 18 months. It doesn't matter if the AC is on or off. It almost sounds like it's coming from the PS pump, but it steers fine and doesn't make any extra noise when I turn the wheel.

Thoughts?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:02 AM
2. My '95 had this issue, back at the time it was my dad's, and when he took it to a shop to get it looked at, he told me that they just got underneath the steering column with a ratchet and tightened something up.. he could tell me exactly what but he's asleep at the moment, heh.

3. I'd like to hear some thoughts on that too, my truck passed 200k a bit ago as well.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:19 PM
2) The loose shifter is more than likely the two T30 screws near the floor board, they come loose a lot.

/

Old 03-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This album shows everything about the '92-up steering column:

This shows how to adjust the shifter AFTER it's fixed:

Quick Reply: Couple questions about my '95