Pre-1997 Models

storm of the year and i damage my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
storm of the year and i damage my truck.

Thought i would share this. Spent 2 hrs digging snow away from my truck and then I tried to drive it out. Well it slides down to the curb as im going forward and bends the trim ring and blows my pass front tire. One can only imagine the words that came from my mouth. Now ill have to wait till tomorrow to have it towed to tire shop for a new tire. The sad thing is there's less than 4k miles on them. Damn shame. Lol

Last edited by bikertrash3531; 02-02-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why a new tire? Any decent tire shop should be able to straighten the rim for a few bucks & put the tire back on it. What about the spare?

This tire is fine:

. .

I bet yours is OK, and steel rims are safer to straighten than Aluminum.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:39 AM
The trim ring punctured a hole in the side wall. The truck didn't come with a spare when I bought it in October. The rim is fine I guess. I'll find out when I get it to the tire shop. They're the 15x 7 stockers so I'm sure I can find one pretty quick if need be.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Well to add insult to injury. My dad agrees to come out and pick me up so I can get a few things. while driving down the road his truck suddenly dies. Can't get it started. Initially we thought it was out of gas due to the installation of a 38 gal rear tank. the gauge isn't correct. No worries we have a 5 gal can in the back. So we put most of that in the tank. Still doesn't start. Pour some in the carb to prime it a little, still nothing. Well its either the module or the pick up coil we conclude. A stranger helped us out and pulled us into a parking lot. Well were sitting in a subway trying to figure out what to do cause I have my uncashed paycheck in my pocket and its almost a 2 hr wait for a cab. So I'm calling around to see if there's someone that can help. Nothing so far. So I called Glc. Without hesitation he made his way to our location. He gave me a ride to cash my check, send money to my wife who has been stranded in st Louis for three days, and pick up the things I needed. Took me back to subway, where a friend of my dads had showed up to help. Glc really came through in a big way. Other wise my dad, three kids, and I would still be stranded with no money to repair his truck or a way home out of the cold. Thank you Glc, your a stand up gentleman and I'm proud to know you! If there's ever anything I can do.........

Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by bikertrash3531
Well to add insult to injury. My dad agrees to come out and pick me up so I can get a few things. while driving down the road his truck suddenly dies. Can't get it started. Initially we thought it was out of gas due to the installation of a 38 gal rear tank. the gauge isn't correct. No worries we have a 5 gal can in the back. So we put most of that in the tank. Still doesn't start. Pour some in the carb to prime it a little, still nothing. Well its either the module or the pick up coil we conclude. A stranger helped us out and pulled us into a parking lot. Well were sitting in a subway trying to figure out what to do cause I have my uncashed paycheck in my pocket and its almost a 2 hr wait for a cab. So I'm calling around to see if there's someone that can help. Nothing so far. So I called Glc. Without hesitation he made his way to our location. He gave me a ride to cash my check, send money to my wife who has been stranded in st Louis for three days, and pick up the things I needed. Took me back to subway, where a friend of my dads had showed up to help. Glc really came through in a big way. Other wise my dad, three kids, and I would still be stranded with no money to repair his truck or a way home out of the cold. Thank you Glc, your a stand up gentleman and I'm proud to know you! If there's ever anything I can do.........

Cheers to a good guy!

Hows the truck? is there spark?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Cheers to Glc!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:08 AM
It was the pick up coil in the distributor. It's getting a new distributor in the morning. For he extra $15 in price its worth it. FYI my dads truck is an 86 f150 lariat 351 4v H.O. C6 4x4 std cab longbed. 118k miles with a lot of sitting in between those miles and has sat for the last two years until Oct. He picked up the truck for $1500 bucks and have almost that in it repairing various things due to its being parked. He's been a Chevy guy all his life and I finally convince him to buy a Ford and now he wants to kick my hind end. I keep telling him that the money spent will make the truck reliable he just has some bugs to work out. Things done so far: rebuilt carb, 38 gal rear tank, removed side tank, new fuel lines, fuel pump, water pump, all new fluids everywhere, new ecm, accel super street coil, MC copper plugs, MC plug wires, belts and hoses. Before the pick up coil quit, the thing runs smooth, no rough idle, starts with ease, and gets decent mileage ( for what it is). We have calculated 14 mpg. If he keeps complaining about the thing ill just have to buy it from him and let him go back to Chevy!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Did your wife get back home okay?

I remembered this morning you forgot to get dog food when we were at Walmart - got that covered?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah we got dog food, were good. Thanks bud! My wife made it home fine. She pulled in about 8:30pm.

Update: had my truck towed to a tire shop. I followed in my car to drop it off. While I was out, a friend of mine calls and ask if I can take him to get a battery for his Mercedes diesel. It was gonna be awhile with the truck so I head to his place. On the way out a truck pulling a trailer with a bob cat is coming towards me. SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!!! even if I stopped he would have hit me. So I just pulled it into the ditch. The DA didn't even stop. So I had to get pulled out again! This storm has been Hell on my vehicles!!

Edit: BTW my dad got his distributor in and the truck runs great.

Last edited by bikertrash3531; 02-04-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:55 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
And now it's snowing again..........

Old 02-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Damn the luck.

Quick Reply: storm of the year and i damage my truck.