Pre-1997 Models

bumper laws

Old 01-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bumper laws

I've been in this area for going on 12 years. I have seen alot of trucks here running around with their rear bumpers removed and

Old 01-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess your asking what the limit is on bumper height? Your best bet is to go to your states D.O.T. website and look up the regulations. Also i believe it is illegal to run a vehicle without bumpers.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Buxton91
...Also i believe it is illegal to run a vehicle without bumpers.
Depends on the state. Some do not require a rear bumper on trucks

Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM
For some reason my original thread didn't get completely posted. I'm wanting to run a roll pan on the back of my truck. Needed to know if it was legal for me to do so. I'll look into the dot regs form state. Thanks

Old 01-30-2011, 03:58 PM
MODOT doesn't say anything about the bumpers being mandatory on the rear. It seems like they're more worried about height than anything else. So I'm going to do it anyway. If anyone knows different let me know. Thanks

Old 01-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah i thought you were asking about the front. With a roll pan you should be good. If you catch any heat you could just rig up some kind of pipe bumper that slides into the hitch for temporary purposes then take it out whenever you don't need it.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Buxton91
Oh yeah i thought you were asking about the front. With a roll pan you should be good. If you catch any heat you could just rig up some kind of pipe bumper that slides into the hitch for temporary purposes then take it out whenever you don't need it.
That would be fine, if I had a hitch. I don't plan on installing one either, my truck's working days are over. I don't generally have a bad attitude towards cops but I think there are more pressing issues than weather or not I'm running a rear bumper. I have been harrassed several times over my tint and I flatly explain to them that if none can see into my truck then they won't take a chance on breaking into it for nothing. Therefore it makes their job easier. Same with the rear bumper. I have 8 ft of steel between me and the back of my truck, a loaded down semi might get me. But in that situation, what would a bumper really do? Nothing! And for those worried about my fraimrails skewering into your hood, pay attention to your distance, follow the three second rule, and stay off my ***! LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bumper laws