Pre-1997 Models

Life of AODE/4R70W and '95 transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life of AODE/4R70W and '95 transfer case?

I am looking at a good condition '95 F150 with 265k on the clock. the motor was replaced at 135k, but I believe the tranny and transfer case are original. I don't know the exact history, but the truck has a fifth wheel, so I am assuming a lot of highway miles with a camper. I don't know exactly which transmission the truck has but I'll try to find out.

Assume that it is driving well now. Is this a ticking bomb or should I be able to get to at least 300k without needing a rebuild replacement? How about the transfer case?

What have you guys spent to rebuild the transmissions in these trucks?

Thanks

Old 01-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by mike93lx
I am looking at a good condition '95 F150 with 265k on the clock. the motor was replaced at 135k, but I believe the tranny and transfer case are original. I don't know the exact history, but the truck has a fifth wheel, so I am assuming a lot of highway miles with a camper. I don't know exactly which transmission the truck has but I'll try to find out.

Assume that it is driving well now. Is this a ticking bomb or should I be able to get to at least 300k without needing a rebuild replacement? How about the transfer case?

Thanks
The transfer case should not give you any problems. I have (2) that I used everyday in low range 4x4 going up the side of a 3/4 mile up the side of a Mt in the woods for over 2 years. They did great for me. Just keep good fluid in it.

If it has a 5 speed, the forks might be slightly wore, but you can get them for next to nothing at the dealer. And the clutch is an easy replacement. I had one f-150 with over 350,000 miles on the OEM drive train. Im still using all of it today in my new truck build. I did re-build everything, but I found no major problems, jut seals and gaskets.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
...F150 with ... a fifth wheel...
Is this a ticking bomb...?
YES. There's no good reason for a 5th wheel hitch in a 1/2-ton truck, unless it was a yard truck at a 5th wheel trailer factory.
I don't know exactly which transmission the truck has...
Read this caption:

...should I be able to get to at least 300k without needing a rebuild replacement?
I'd be amazed. Even if it has the E4OD (which could tow 3 trailers at a time without a problem), the t-case, rear gears, suspension, & frame have been catching hell.
How about the transfer case?
The pump stay arm is known to wear through the case rib & spin, destroying the t-case, but there's no indication and they're not expensive to just replace, so that's not such a big deal. Even if it's an ESOF, you can get them for under $200 used, and drive while you rebuild the original.

Depends on the trans: as little as $400 for a good thorough job on an AOD/4R70W; up to $2K on an E4OD; the C6 (which would be a VERY rare trans for a '95 F150) would be in between.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks. I'm going to speak with the owner today and try to get some answers on the fifth wheel and transmission condition. Unfortunately, it is a few states away, so I can't inspect the truck without making a significant drive. I've asked him to send me the transmission and rear end codes to confirm what it has.

Based on the rebuild cost mentioned above, I'll likely pass if it is an E4OD, but those were only used in Lightnings and diesels, right? If I'd only be looking at $400ish on the AOD/4R70W (I'd love to hear who will do it for that price...you're not talking about a home rebuild, right?), I might take my chances.

ETA: It is ESOF.

Last edited by mike93lx; 01-18-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
On a 95, if it's a 302 it could be either a 4R70W or E4OD. If it's a 300 or 351, it will be a E4OD.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
...I'll likely pass if it is an E4OD, but those were only used in Lightnings and diesels, right?
The E4OD is the one that would NOT have been hurt by towing heavy loads, and '95 was the year that they got all the major bugs worked out, so that would be the BEST one to buy. And no; it was used in MANY F-series & Broncos.
I'd love to hear who will do it for that price.
That would be a "buddy price". That's what I paid to have my '94 CV AODE rebuilt by a guy I did business with.
ETA: It is ESOF.
BTW
"ETA" means "estimated time of arrival".

Quick Reply: Life of AODE/4R70W and '95 transfer case?