Pre-1997 Models

89 f150 steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 f150 steering problem

I have a 89 f150 4x4 truck has factory suspension, no lift.
I have been having problems with the steering. On any road but worse on the interstate the truck will try to lose control will try to follow any rut you cannot go any faster than 50 or you will lose control of the truck. Did better when you had a trailer on the back but now is acting the same with or without the trailer. The truck feels like driving on ice all the time
History on the truck
My brother owned it and used it for conduit placement was all the time off-road until he blew the motor then I got the truck replaced the motor and changed the 4 speed to the 5 speed and drove the truck for a year before the steering problems started . When I replaced the worn out ball joints the steering got much worse. My dad used the truck one day and a block away I get a call he said to come get my death trap. None of the parts have helped so far and don’t want to throw parts at it.

The things I have replaced recently
Both tie rods
Steering pump
Power steering lines
Power steering cooler lines
Steering gear
Front calipers and pads
Front roters
Front bearings
Changed auto hubs to manual
Master cylinder
Front sway bar bushings
Rear sway bar bushings
Upper and lower ball joints
Front duel shock and rear Shocks
Front upper and lower balljoints
Radius arm bushings
Axle pivot bushings
New rims and tires (stock size)
a friend also has a 94 ford econoline 150 that is doing the same
front and rear drive line changed
has been aligned twice didnt trust the first place i took it to
thanks for any help

Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by coltabsh
...don’t want to throw parts at it.
It's a little late for that, don't you think?
Originally Posted by coltabsh
has been aligned twice
Take it back & complain. The first step in an alignment is to inspect the vehicle for worn/damaged/missing parts that will prevent it from being properly aligned. If they failed to do that, it's their fault. They need to either fix it right (no more $$$) or refund 100% of what you paid them for the alignment they failed to perform to standard.

Your only real option is to take it to a good alignment shop, even if that means the dealership. But most name-brand tire stores have good alignment machines & technicians, so check around. Ask friends/neighbors/coworkers if they can recommend a good shop.

There are a LOT of things that can affect alignment & result in the symptom you described, including (but not limited to):
wheel bearings
lug nuts
tire age/damage
tire pressure
tire size
rim backspacing
front suspension wear/damage/installation
steering linkage wear/damage/installation
rear suspension wear/damage/installation
frame wear/damage
body mounts
steering column
steering box

Read this caption:

Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve83
It's a little late for that, don't you think? Take it back & complain. The first step in an alignment is to inspect the vehicle for worn/damaged/missing parts that will prevent it from being properly aligned. If they failed to do that, it's their fault. They need to either fix it right (no more $$$) or refund 100% of what you paid them for the alignment they failed to perform to standard.

Your only real option is to take it to a good alignment shop, even if that means the dealership. But most name-brand tire stores have good alignment machines & technicians, so check around. Ask friends/neighbors/coworkers if they can recommend a good shop.

There are a LOT of things that can affect alignment & result in the symptom you described, including (but not limited to):
wheel bearings
lug nuts
tire age/damage
tire pressure
tire size
rim backspacing
front suspension wear/damage/installation
steering linkage wear/damage/installation
rear suspension wear/damage/installation
frame wear/damage
body mounts
steering column
steering box

Read this caption:

i agree sounds like the alignment shops didnt do there job with all the parts you replaced if you truly did replace them that thing should have no problems

if after a real alignment your still not satisfied then you could put some steering stabilizers on it but all that will do is mask the problem till your in a ditch or somethin

Quick Reply: 89 f150 steering problem