Pre-1997 Models

New Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Noise

My 95 just suddenly developed a noise coming from the drivers side front of the 5.0L engine. Sounds like rushing air and varies with rpm (and it's pretty loud!). At first I thought it was an alternator bearing but it got worse...then stayed that way. the engine is running fine...no diagnostic codes, No overheating pulleys, etc.
Could this be coming from the A.I.R system (or whatever they call it on a ford truck...)? The noise does seem loudest by the "soup can" (which I'm guessing is a muffler of sorts)

Thanks in advance,

Rick C.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it's coming from the metal can, that's a vacuum reservoir, so you have a vacuum leak, which should raise the idle & set lean codes and thermactor codes.

If it's coming from the plastic one, that's an intake filter for the thermactor pump. If it's coming from the pump (mounted to the engine), find out if it's on the intake or outlet side.

If it's on the outlet (blowing), you should inspect the check valves & bypass/diverter valve for damage. If it's on the intake or at the filter, check the engine mounts.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Awesome...good info..thank you much. doubt if it's the vac reservoir...no lean codes. I'm going to pull the serpentine and check all bearings tomorrow morning...just in case it's an idler or something...really sounds like air moving more than a metal grinding but I want to eliminate every possiblilty before I spend money.

Thanks again!

Rick C.

Last edited by deadfish; 01-07-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by deadfish
...I want to eliminate every possiblilty before I spend money.
Always the wisest & cheapest course of action!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Steve83
Always the wisest & cheapest course of action!
Thanks again Steve...turns out it was the wisest! I pulled the serp..only to find a bad tensioner bearing (funny...it was only two years young?) While at it, I had a new smog pump I bought in 04 (little runnout in the pully of the old one at idle) Well the old one never quit but I wasn't going to change the serpentine without doing that job. Cleaned the air filter for it too (nasty...might be why I thought I had an air rushing sound!) The rear alt bearing was noisy too so I changed that one and put in new brushes, and finally the idler above the PS pump was noisy so I repacked that bearing and the bearing in the idler by the alt (not noisy but what the heck...I'm there anyway right) so...result...excellent and quiet...

Much abliged for your input...

Rick

Old 01-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Not to hijack this, but you said you had some runnout it the smog pump pulley and that you replaced it. I've noticed the same with mine. What are the pros and cons of removing the pump alltogether? Or the cost of replacing it (pump?)

Old 01-15-2011, 11:39 AM
A) The main con is that it's illegal (everywhere - not just where there's emissions testing), so discussing removing or disabling emissions systems is against the user agreement on this forum (& most others). Another con is that it's a lot of work & expense for NO benefit - the engine runs better WITH the emissions systems working. Read this article. There is no pro - the weight is negligible, and you can't use the space for anything else.
B) Why would you even consider removing the pump just because the pulley wiggles a little? Let it. It's not hurting anything. And if it gets worse, tighten the bolts or replace the pulley. Even if the pump seizes, it's easy & free to repair it.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:57 PM
ok ok ok I get it Steve. BTW did I mention I'm running 5% tint on the rear window of my truck???? Oops shouldn't say that. might be illegal in some jurisdictions. My inquiry wasn't intended to break any rules. it was a question. now i admit a post of mine earlier was a little out of line. but please don't follow me around the site and make me feel every question I ask about MY truck is going to violate some sort of forum rule. quit being the red and blues in my rear view!

Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by bikertrash3531
please don't follow me around the site...
Turn your ego down a notch or 8. I probably wouldn't remember if I replied to every post you've ever made here.

Quick Reply: New Noise