Pre-1997 Models

recovering with no trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recovering with no trailer hitch

I have a 93 f150 with a class 1 bumper hitch. im wondering if i were to get stuck in the snow (or somebody else and I had to pull them out) what is the best way to hook the tow rope to the truck?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm not familiar with the 93' F-150's, but obviously any where on the frame would be ideal. But IMO, I would get a class III hitch installed. They're not too terribly expensive and I just feel that all trucks should have one. I do a fair amount of towing, but I have also used it plenty of times for the same thing you're asking about (recovery points). It will take all the head scratching out of where to hook a chain or strap to on your truck and you won't have to risk damaging anything.

Plus, you can install other cool and handy items, as shown below!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:07 PM
my dad has that same ravens one .
I want a hitch but I was avoiding it for 2 reasons- 1 I dont know how it would fit with my dual exhaust. 2 I currently dont have a job and there are other things to spend money on (skoal :])

Old 12-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hook the recovery rope to the draw bar in the hitch reciever, or to the receiver structure, or to the bumper structure (the step where the ball mount is). Don't hook to the frame or suspension. And even during a recovery, don't exceed the draw bar's, or reciever's, or bumper's capacity. Class I is rated for 2000 lbs (1 ton) pulling & 200 lbs vertical, which is sufficient for gentle pulls, or a TRUE stretch/****** strap, but NOT for hard pulls using a rigid link (cable, chain, bar).

IDK why anyone would put a Cl.1 hitch on a fullsize pickup, and I agree that you should swap to a Cl.3 ASAP. They can be found in junkyards (complete with mounting hardware, mud, rust, thorns, & wasps) for cheap.

If you want front recovery points, it'll take some effort because of the frame crumple zones & low-hanging bumper. But I've found a way to attach Ford eyes without any modification, other than 2 cuts in the plastic air dam (if it's still there). Follow the link in this caption:

Last edited by Steve83; 12-13-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: recovering with no trailer hitch