Pre-1997 Models

1992 F150 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 F150 Problems - Lack of Power

Here are the symptoms: truck ran great yesterday, today start it up and head down the road. Right off hand I felt the truck lacked power and when I turned onto the main highway, it felt like the truck was running on about 4 cylinders...no power hardly at all. Turned around and headed back home, truck started to miss a few times but never died. Total trip was about 1/4 mile and truck never got up to operating temp. Truck smells like it is running really rich and also has a slight burnt smell as well (if that makes any sense).

Where is a good place to start troubleshooting? I am kinda thinking there is an exhaust leak around one of the manifolds, but would it cause these problems? Truck is a 1992 f150 with the 5.0 v8

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by ML504; 11-28-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Title update
Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ML504
Where is a good place to start troubleshooting?
The Troubleshooting chapter at the front of the Haynes manual.

Originally Posted by ML504
I am kinda thinking there is an exhaust leak around one of the manifolds, but would it cause these problems?
No.

What's the fuel pressure? How old are the spark plugs, and what's their gap? How many years/miles on the fuel filter, air filter, cap, rotor, coil, & timing chain? Does the CEL come on before cranking? Have you ever checked for fault codes? Get a digital multimeter (DMM) and test the TPS, ECT, ACT, MAP, & ignition system using the Haynes manual.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 f150 troubleshooting

Normally I wouldn't have a clue where to start with this, but I am having the same issues. It is a vauum leak. Beyond checking the vacuum hoses check the plenum intake gasket. It is more then likely here that you'll find your problem. My initial thought wouldv'e been the EGR or canister purge solenoid.
I am still having my issue with mine and could use some more help if anyone can.

Quick Reply: 1992 F150 Problems