Pre-1997 Models

95 does not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 does not turn over

Parked the truck last night evrything was fine . Today I had the ignition turned back and the radio on around 45 minutes ( not started or move since last night ) went to leave and it clicked at the solenoid . Thought I drained the battery ( several years old ) . Put a charger/ jump pack and still just a click . battery shows 12 volts . Don't know why But I put another battery in that I had in another truck and same thing ( 12.5 volts ) . took off cable ends and cleaned terminals and cables . The solenid shows power with a test light when the key is turned . The other solenid terminal shows power also . will not jump over with a screw driver on the soleniod . Cables are tight to the starter . Windows , radio ,etc work . soleniod is less than a year old .
What would the next step be ?

Thanks

Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With the key in START, test voltage at all 3 terminals on the starter relay, and all 3 on the starter solenoid. Post the results. This diagram includes the wiring layout & its caption contains links to more relevant diagrams & photos:

Old 11-22-2010, 12:03 PM
The starter works like new when hooked to the charger and jumped ( I know not the best way , but its a one man show here until school gets out )

I had a new solenoid for another project so I tried it . same thing , just click .

Seems like a wire or cable between the solenoid and the starter ?

Steve , I will get the voltages as you said to do this evening when I have someone to hold the key . Thanks for your help !

Old 11-22-2010, 05:08 PM
A jumper wire from the BATT terminal to the START (relay trigger) terminal will have the same effect as someone holding the key in START. Did you study those pics & diagrams in that caption? Particularly this one:

Be prepared to pull the jumper wire off if the starter suddenly engages, and make sure it comes away from the BATT terminal so you don't have a hot wire dangling.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Had voltage at the top solenoid as should have with the key on . The small wire from the fender solenoid down to the starter( spade conector ) had no voltage . It broken about 4" up from the starter . Starts as it should now .
the heat shield is broken that sits on top of the starter solenoid . Does a parts store sell these or what would be good to try to make out of .

Steve ,
Thanks again for your help . Over the past few years your information has helped me several times and I'm sure you have talked many people though several dollars worth of repair bills .

Old 11-23-2010, 01:12 AM
The top terminal of the solenoid should always have battery voltage. There is no fender solenoid - that's the relay.

I doubt you'll find a solenoid heat shield anywhere but a JY, and probably not there. But it's not critical. GM had a big problem with solenoids overheating, so when Ford switched to that style starter, they included that little shield. But I've never heard of a Ford solenoid dying from heat the way GMs did.

Quick Reply: 95 does not turn over