Pre-1997 Models

Ignition key won't start and no resistance

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition key won't start and no resistance

There is a good video on replacing the F150 ignition actuator here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfRFg...eature=channel
But he cut off part of the actuator to get it in without dropping the column.
I don't want to do that. Anybody had luck getting the actuator in without dropping the column? How hard is dropping the steering column? Looks like you have to remove part of the dash.
Thanks,
Jim

Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 PM
column drop

dropping the column isn't to terrible. it makes changing the actuator a lot easier. i had to do it in my 89 and i was lookin at tryin it without droppin it and it is a lot less headache to just remove four bolts. you will have to remove the trim pieces that hold your light and wiper switches and that has you little cubby hole in it. and it you are goin to remove the steering wheel that use a puller, not a hammer and do it befor you drop the steering column. i did all that and when i was done there is a bracket under your dash with four bolts holding it. take them out and it will drop down in your lap. don't lay under it when you take the last bolt out. it will leave a pretty scar for sure

Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 PM
its not hard at all, i did this on an 89 bronco, replaced the lock cylinder, that cast aluminum thing that connect the lock cylinder to the bar and the ignition switch.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I did the same thing on my 89, i didnt have to drop the column though and it wasnt hard, just took a lot of time. i pulled the steering wheel and kept working my way down til i found that broken piece benbailey is talking about. about three hours rolling in and out of the garage.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Follow the directions in the Haynes repair manual and it should go well. It is time consuming though.

Quick Reply: Ignition key won't start and no resistance