Pre-1997 Models

Push button 4x4 stuck in 4low

Old 11-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Push button 4x4 stuck in 4low

I have a 93 supercab 5.0 4x4....its a great truck i love it runs awesome. but the other day i engaged 4 low to get through some snow, and on the other side when i tried to shift back into 4 high nothing happened. the lights next to the buttons just flash really fast, the same as the indicators on the dash. wondering if anybody had run into this problem before? its as if the button isnt sending a signal to the transfer case. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Can't help you with your problem, but you can manually take it out of 4 wheel drive.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:18 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
You say that, but don't describe how? Real helpful post, dude.......

Old 11-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Check out this video, it shows the installation of the "shiftster" but you will be able to see when he removes the electric motor the shaft that needs to be cranked to get into 2 hi.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:17 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
I don't see a video..............

Old 11-19-2010, 04:14 AM
I googled it and found this, it's for a FSB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXDWLXnW_sQ

Old 11-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I was told by the dealer, when the 4x4 lights blink, the computer has a problem. He told me to unhook my battery for 20 min and try again. Hope it helps

Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Stopped in neutral on the brakes with all the brake lights working?

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you read the owner's manual &/or driver's sun visor sticker? Read this & its caption:

Old 10-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by booba5185
I googled it and found this, it's for a FSB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXDWLXnW_sQ
Hey Booba, fwiw the Shiftster actually fits more than the full size Broncos (up to around 2002/2003). It also works on the smaller Bronco II's, the F-Series trucks, the Rangers, Explorers & Expeditions, some of the small Mazda Navajo and Dodge pick-ups and several different species of GmMC/Chevy trucks that also use a Borg Warner t-case. On top of that, we just found out that the Shiftster works on a peculiar Indian made truck called the Armada Grand.....and also on the 'Benz ML320. Kinda cool.......

Ricky B

http://theshiftster.com/

Old 10-25-2011, 12:37 AM
That's the goofiest idea I've seen in a long time. I guess for vehicles with an access hole in the floor right above the back of the t-case, it would be workable. But for any other, it's ridiculous. You might as well just leave it in 2H, or sell the truck.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Steve83
That's the goofiest idea I've seen in a long time. I guess for vehicles with an access hole in the floor right above the back of the t-case, it would be workable. But for any other, it's ridiculous. You might as well just leave it in 2H, or sell the truck.

Gee Steve, I see you're even grumpier this morning than you were the day you bailed out on the FSB forums. Do you wanna I give you the e-mails of the 125 people who have bought Shiftsters from us, world-wide? So that you can tell them how stupid they are? Or would you rather come back here after you've invented and sold dozens of your own product that you came up with? In the meantime though you should keep buying up every manual B/Warner t-case you can----you can think of it as part of your retirement nest egg....kinda like gold......

Old 10-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Whether I'm grumpy or not has nothing to do with how goofy that is. And if 125 sales are enough to preclude goofiness, then Radium-laced underwear is even more-intelligent than that device - they sold thousands of those things. People will buy anything. Look at Domino's pizza.

I didn't call anyone stupid; your customers, or you. I recognize & acknowledge that it takes some thought to come up with that design, and to develop it so it works. But the same could be said for the battery-powered battery charger. (Yes, they sold a few of those, too.) That doesn't make it a good idea, or practical. Goofy is as goofy does, and both of them are goofy ideas.

And even though I only got a couple hours sleep last night (and tonight's not looking much better), I don't think I'm grumpy right now, or during my previous post. I certainly was grumpy when I was banned from FSB (I didn't leave or bail-out, as the staff repeatedly assured everyone) since they told me it was for doing something the staff did then & continues to do today, only to a vastly greater extreme. But that's a whole other kettle of fish...

Back on-topic:
Explain the process to me so I can understand how far off-base I am in calling it "goofy". You're driving along, and you come to a spot where you need 4WD. So you get out, crawl on the ground under the truck (assuming you're in a place you can get underneath) (assuming the ground is above water level) (assuming you're dressed for crawling on the ground) (assuming the truck will stay in-place while you get under it) (assuming it's not raining/snowing) (assuming there aren't people behind you trying to use the trail or road), twist the ****, climb back out, dust yourself off, hop in, drive to where you need 2WD (which might be 2 feet or 20 miles), then repeat the whole process? What if you're on a highway with patches of ice? What if you're on a trail with slickrock & mud? What if you're pulling off the pavement to hook up a trailer, and then get back on the road? What if you're in ANY OTHER situation where you need to shift in & out of 4WD quickly, frequently, or repeatedly? That's when you bust out the sawzall & make an access hole in the floor so you can reach the **** from the driver's seat.

Again, I say: either fix it right, learn to get where you're going in 2WD, or get rid of the truck. I don't need to know how much that thing costs to know that it's more than a good used transfer case, or a reman ESOF motor, or the work to repair an ESOF motor.

And just so you know: I do sell things that I've designed & built, AND I collect manual shifters. So right now is already "after I've invented & sold dozens". But that's getting off-topic again.

Last edited by Steve83; 10-26-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Hmmm, Shiftster #139? On it's way to a guy in Tuapse, Russia.

Hmmm, Shiftster #140? Off to Pernik, Bulgaria.

Hmmm, hmmm, hmmmm......

Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 PM
I've always wanted a manual transfer case, oh wait..
This is probably the worst invention ever, your customers are idiots.
What the heck is a guy supposed to do if he happens to get sunk in an unseemingly soft field? Grab a shovel and dig your way to the transfercase, great plan.
Or grab the sawzall and cut that hole yeeeehhawwww.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Push button 4x4 stuck in 4low