Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Pre-1997 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Pre-1997 Models

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!





Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WV
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 10
Fuel pump ?? 1989 f150 Twin tanks

Working on a 1989 f150 with twin tanks started with a motor change and have run on to more problems.Truck had set for two years with the blown up motor so after motor swap siphoned both tanks and added fresh gas.Truck ran great at first drove for about 6 miles total then started sputtering and jerking. Truck seems to be starving for fuel and I had read on the forums about the primer pump in each tank gauge shows full with about seven gallons in each tank. Also read several threads about the problems with the Fuel selector valve had thought of getting one for a single tank and trying one at a time??? Was wondering if it should still run without the primer pump working?? Thoughts Ideas Prayers Thanks.............
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2010, 02:14 PM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 28,286
Have you replaced the fuel filter?
__________________
2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 M5OD 3.55 LS
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WV
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc View Post
Have you replaced the fuel filter?
Twice........... Today I pressure tested the fuel line 40 with motor off jumping the pump to keep it running. Drops to about 34 when you turn off the pump and then to about 25 in ten minutes or so.Truck will idle and carry about 34-35 after about 5 minutes of running fuel pressure drops to about 20 and it shuts down. Fuel pressure won`t go past 20 after even jumping and running the pump.

Last edited by Bigbuckslayer; 11-10-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 28,286
That *might* just be the fuel pressure regulator.
__________________
2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 M5OD 3.55 LS
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WV
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc View Post
That *might* just be the fuel pressure regulator.
I had thought of that pulled the vacuum line off no fuel there.I know they will leak sometimes when bad. Ran the motor couple times let it idle and revved it up will run for about four minutes then fuel pressure drops shuts off. Wait awhile come back will do the same thing...............
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Senior Member
1989 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 547
It could be that fuel selector valve's o ring swelled shut, but not fully so it lets only a little fuel threw. Pull the Selector valve off and you can take the top off, the oring will be on the outside ring (same outside ring where the screws are removed from). Then you can see if the oring is swollen shut or not. You can take the selector valve apart further, but it's kind of a pain. Lemme see if I can find something that has pictures...

Edit here ya go:

The bolts at the top (I take them out like you put on a tire, one side, then the opposite side, etc.)
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's with the top off, the o-ring will be in the outer circle, you'll see it:
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by booba5185; 11-10-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-11-2010, 03:08 AM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 28,286
Does the fuel pressure change if you pull the vacuum line off the FPR with it running? I believe it should go up at least 5 psi.
__________________
2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 M5OD 3.55 LS
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2010, 04:56 AM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WV
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc View Post
Does the fuel pressure change if you pull the vacuum line off the FPR with it running? I believe it should go up at least 5 psi.
Didn`t check that...............
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WV
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by booba5185 View Post
It could be that fuel selector valve's o ring swelled shut, but not fully so it lets only a little fuel threw. Pull the Selector valve off and you can take the top off, the oring will be on the outside ring (same outside ring where the screws are removed from). Then you can see if the oring is swollen shut or not. You can take the selector valve apart further, but it's kind of a pain. Lemme see if I can find something that has pictures...

Edit here ya go:

The bolts at the top (I take them out like you put on a tire, one side, then the opposite side, etc.)
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's with the top off, the o-ring will be in the outer circle, you'll see it:
Click the image to open in full size.
Changed out the o-ring seems to have fixed it. THANKS.........
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
1989 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuckslayer View Post
Changed out the o-ring seems to have fixed it. THANKS.........
Glad to hear it. Make sure that the rear tank isn't filling the front tank, these things do that when the valve get stuck in one position or the other. Mine is currently doing this, and I've tore it down to the valves, yet it still happens. So i dunno if it's fixable.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WV
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by booba5185 View Post
Glad to hear it. Make sure that the rear tank isn't filling the front tank, these things do that when the valve get stuck in one position or the other. Mine is currently doing this, and I've tore it down to the valves, yet it still happens. So i dunno if it's fixable.
Going to just run on front for now its a money-pit LOL.......
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Senior Member
1989 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 547
Tell me about it, lol. I'm doing everything I can to get better mpgs out of it, timing bump, all new fluids, a hole cut in my airbox, and thermal take around the tubes coming off the throttle body has gotten me a best of 23 mpg. Plans are to get new U-joints, explorer injectors, a high flow cat, and perfect the timing a little better. Hoping for around 27 mpg, high hopes I know lol.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Senior Member
1983 Ford Bronco
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Memphis, TN 38135, USA, Earth
Vehicle: 1983 Ford Bronco
Posts: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuckslayer View Post
...I had read on the forums about the primer pump in each tank...
There is no "primer" pump. The in-tank pump lifts fuel to the reservoir, and operates the select valve in the DFR. The frame pump raises the pressure & moves the fuel to the injector rail. Both pumps must run for the engine to run reliably. It can run for short periods without the tank pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booba5185 View Post
Make sure that the rear tank isn't filling the front tank... Mine is currently doing this, and I've tore it down to the valves, yet it still happens. So i dunno if it's fixable.
That's caused by either the small O-rings (smaller than a pencil eraser) on the valve shafts, or the medium O-rings (dime size) on the valve bodies. Read the DFR captions in this album for more info:

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
1989 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 547
On the dime sized o-rings, they don't seem round. they are o shaped, but i mean if i were to cut one in half and look down the rubber it would be square. Would it be ok to use a normal o-ring in place of this?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WV
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
There is no "primer" pump. The in-tank pump lifts fuel to the reservoir, and operates the select valve in the DFR. The frame pump raises the pressure & moves the fuel to the injector rail. Both pumps must run for the engine to run reliably. It can run for short periods without the tank pump.That's caused by either the small O-rings (smaller than a pencil eraser) on the valve shafts, or the medium O-rings (dime size) on the valve bodies. Read the DFR captions in this album for more info:

The primer pump I was referring to was the in tank pump. Drove it about 15 miles today and ran fine then started sputtering would idle just no power with a load. Going to change the fuel filter see if it helps.........
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:48 PM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 PM.


 
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details