Pre-1997 Models

Tranny question....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny question....

I've had this noise coming from the bellhousing area. Pretty sure I've located the culprit. With out a lift, how hard is it to remove the tranny, and replace the bearing and seal located on the front? 4 speed manual...1984 4x4 F150? I'll be doing this one on my back, haha.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
WHICH 4sp manual? If you don't know, read this & create a signature with all your truck's specs:

An NP435 is a lot heavier than an SROD. And how big are you? How much can you bench-press? I don't lift, but I'm 6'2" ~230#, and it's all I can do to heft my NP.

But if you have a floor jack with a transmission adapter, it's pretty easy. If you're creative, you don't even need the adapter.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Ok, getting ready to do the sig block, but, from what i can tell, its stamped "B" under transmission. Referring to some of your diagrams, it says it should be the Clark 4 Speed. I'm liking the truck, really wish i had something to compare it to, i have no clue what a 300ci inline should run like, but im pretty sure its a solid motor. I just replaced the fuel pump last night, lubed everything. Before i start getting into really tuning the motor up decided that i'll deal with two wiring issues, fuel guage inop, tail light running light inop.

As far as the carb goes, is there a good starting point to adjusting it? Havent messed with it yet, I'd like to do that and check valve lash today.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Always start with the symptom, then find the ROOT cause, and only then can you decide what repair is most appropriate (adjustment, replacement, modification...). Haynes has a decent troubleshooting guide before Ch.1.

For me, the best fix for any carb is an EFI swap. Period.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Now for this motor setup, would it be the throttle body injection, or is true 1 injector per cylinder fuel injection? I looked online a little, and to pick up a throttle body, and intake, it wouldnt cost much, but if im looking at injectors, fuel rails, additional wiring, i'll have more money in the truck than its worth. Haha. Little history on me and this truck. I've been messing with LS1's and LT1 for a few years, am going through a divorce, have lost almost everything(minus the harley) and picked my rust bucket F150 up as my new daily driver. So if i get annoying asking questions, sorry, haha. I need to this truck right now. getting too cold to ride the bike every day

Old 11-06-2010, 07:16 PM
I'd never convert a carb engine to EFI, or waste the money on any aftermarket EFI - certainly not a TBI. Find the newest, nicest complete running EFI engine you can afford and swap it into the vehicle you want. If you don't particularly like this truck, don't waste the effort - just fix the carb & drive. In addition to the first 2 in my signature, here are a few examples of EFI swaps:

Last edited by Steve83; 11-06-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranny question....