Pre-1997 Models

Dual tank problems...???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual tank problems...???

Weird problem with my rear tank. I filled up both of my tanks the other day because i was taking a dirtbikeing excursion to the desert for halloween weekend. I topped off both tanks on the way to work in the morning. I accidently left my lights on like a dumbazz so it started up really weak, i decided to let it idle for a few minutes while i was packing up the rest of my junk at work. As im walking back to my truck, i see a steady driping comming from under the truck,...directly where my front tank is. I had the tank switch set to rear. Im guessing that the rear tank was pumping into the front and over flowed that sucker. I have discovered the temporary fix for this is empty my front tank first, then click onto my rear, however, as im driving, i notice my fuel gauge drops pretty quick on the rear tank. (typical because its dumping fuel back into my front tank. Iv heard of this problem and understand its a check valve somewhere. Does anybody have any info or pics of this?

Also i have another common problem with my M5od-r2 trans. Iv got these funky rubber plugs at the top of the tranny behind the shifter, and they are seeping out a whole lot of ATF out of my tranny. Can i change those suckers from under my truck? it looks like i can unbolt the shifter and get inbetween the floorpan and the top of the tranny to loosen those bolts. a friend told me he had to pull his seats and carpet and floor board access panel, then yank his shifter boot, and shifter linkage, then pull the 10 bolts off the top of the tranny,.... all to replace those 3 crappy old azz dry-rotter rubber plugs.
PS, my truck is a 1991 f-150 custom. (it has 33" tires and a small lift so i can eaisly get under there and peek around, i can get my head betweent he tranny top and floor boards to look) so thats why i asked if i can do it from under the truck, i dont want to yank all my interior out.

Sorry for the long noob post, I dont usually ask so many questions.
Thanks dudes!
Semper Fi!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:32 PM
im pretty sure... the check valve is the metal thing that connects your front return line to one of the lines to the fuel pump assembly. sorry no pics. you can drop the tank or take the bed off, unless you got a bodylift you might be able to reach it

thats all my knowledge of it, im sure someone else on here will help you more

Old 11-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Thats what i was afraid of. Its not a big deal to pull a bed off. I did my old ranger bed last year to fix a fuel filler tube to pass emessions. Hhaha, i n*gger rigged that thing with a tube of shoe goo and a roll of duct tape to pass CA Emissions test. We yanked my buddies 2001 f150 bed and swapped in another a few months ago. Hes an advid offroader and needed me to cut the inside of the wheel wells, and weld in some tabs. I ended up giving him a 3" fender flare on each side of the bed. Looks like a monster dually now. Ohh well, probably get some of my alcoholic buddies to give me a hand with lifting the bed off next saturday or something. You think i need to replace the check valves and the fuel pressure regulator? Or just the check valves? I dont want to have to pull the bed a second time. Haha, i guess i will call ford dealership and see if they will still honor the safety recall, iv only got 98k miles on it. =/ we'll see. Thanks for the input dudes. Now for those pesky tranny junk rubber plugs,... might try to tear them out with a needlenose pliers, clean the area, and lube the new ones up with hand sanitizer and squeak em in there. Im not too excited about pulling the interior apart to get the top of the tranny, nonsense!!!!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MoToMaStR
Iv heard of this problem and understand its a check valve somewhere. Does anybody have any info or pics of this?
Read this caption:

Then check the Ford website to see if your VIN is affected.
Can i change those suckers from under my truck?
You can try...

it looks like i can unbolt the shifter and get inbetween the floorpan and the top of the tranny to loosen those bolts.
I doubt it. In any case, you'll want to unbolt the shift lever & lift the boot off, so do that now & see what you can do from the top.
a friend told me he had to pull his seats and carpet and floor board access panel, then yank his shifter boot, and shifter linkage, then pull the 10 bolts off the top of the tranny...
Wrong order - the shifter & boot come off before the carpet. And you only have to pull ONE chair (4 bolts) to roll the carpet back - the carpet doesn't have to come all the way out. I promise you it's a LOT easier working from the top than from under the floor.
Originally Posted by DAsteve
im pretty sure... the check valve is the metal thing...
No, that's a pulse damper.

Last edited by Steve83; 11-04-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Steve83
No, that's a pulse damper.

thats not what im talking about. sorry im not good at describing things

Edit: the other pic you showed was what i was trying to describe

Last edited by DAsteve; 11-04-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Well, i stopped off at napa and picked up 3 of those little steel expansion plugs and some rtv sealant. I decided that if i can pop out the rubber plugs, i would just clean em and throw some goop on them and shove em back in there. Didnt go as planned. After wrestling with those old dry-rotted rubber plugs for about 5 minutes, i said screw it and tore them suckers out with pliers. They broke off into dry chunks pretty easy.I decided there was absolutely no way i can get enough clearance from either top or bottom to tap the new steel ones in. I ended up pluuing the plastic floor runners that run the length of the floorboards. then removed the 4 shifter boot screws. crawled under the truck and unbolted the shifter from the stub sticking out of top of tranny (linkage i think?) removed those 3 torx screws from the shifter seal. Next i pulled the shifter through the hole. Then i peeled back the rubber floor mat stuff/carpeting and rolled it back on top of the bench seat. Next step was to pull all of the bolts out to remove the access panel. It came out pretty easy, it had some soft play-dough looking stuff as a seal next, disconnect the plug from the trop of the tranny and un-do those bolts from inside the truck. pulled those bolts and viola!!! the top of the sucker same off with out a fight!! i cleaned out the nasties from the holes and wiped the gasket area clean on both halfs. I drove those metal expansion plugs in with a small hammer and a 3/8" socket + extension. They took a pretty good about of tapping to get them in. I sank them about 1/8" past the flush mark. I filled the tranny up with some dex/mercon red atf junk, iv never run atf in a manual tranny, but HEY!!! Luckily, iv only drove it about 400 miles since i bought it, it was about 1qt low on tranny fluid!!! YIKES!! (although it has been dripping steadily while its parked it uphill.... the tranny gears werent blue or brown, so im not to worried yet, shifts super smooth!!! . I bolted it back up, and packed up my tools. Then i crawled under my truck and wiped all the wet tranny fluid-grime out of the area. Just cleaned up and took a test drive up some really steep hills, and just as I expected, FLAWLESS!!! I love my non dripping truck even more now!

Quick Reply: Dual tank problems...???