Pre-1997 Models

Gas System

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas System

When I press down on the gas pedal, the motor sounds like it's choking. It and jerks unless I push the pedal to the floor. There is not much power. I have replaced the fuel filter, the rotor cap and button, and the spark plugs are fairly new. It doesn't have any trouble starting. Could anyone give me a diagnosis?

Chuck

Old 11-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckinatruck
Could anyone give me a diagnosis?
Not a chance.

You didn't tell us ANYTHING about the truck: year, engine, trans, trim level, options, miles, mods, maintenance, damage, repairs, how long this sympom existed, what happened just before it started... Read these captions:

Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas System

Wow, I'm an idiot. I was in a hurry when I made that post and a little worried too. Ok it is a 1991 F150 Custom. 4.9 Liter Straight 6. 5 speed manual transmission. It has 110,000 miles on it. New starter and battery. 2 gas tanks but I only use the front tank due to the rear tank leaking. 1 month ago I had the front gas tank replaced because of leakage as well. The symptoms I have described have lasted about a week now:
When I press down on the gas pedal, the motor sounds like it's choking. It sputters and jerks unless I push the pedal to the floor. There is not much power. I have replaced the fuel filter, the rotor cap and button, and the spark plugs are fairly new. It doesn't have any trouble starting.

I am not a very polished mechanic at all. Any information will help.

Chuck

Old 11-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So it began right after the tank was replaced? Take it back to the shop and complain. Make them test the fuel pressure with a gauge, and find out what pressure it has KOEO, at idle, at 55mph, and when it's bogging. Did they charge you for a fuel filter? When did you replace those parts - before, or after their work? What gap did you set the plugs to? Did you route the wires correctly?

How long (miles) have the plugs been in, and what do they look like now?

Quick Reply: Gas System