Pre-1997 Models

Fuel Tank(s)

Old 10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Tank(s)

Hey guys, I am going to get a 95 F150 5.8L with dual tanks. The guy said the first one must have some small leak because he will fill it all the way up and after it sits for awhile, there will be a little bit of gas on the driveway. I guess you can just forget about it and use only the back one, but I want to put a new one in. So, my question is, can anyone point me in the right direction for dropping the old tank as far as literally dropping it and removing the connections too? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's basically the same process as shown in this album:

But it might be easier to lift the bed:

Old 10-25-2010, 12:03 PM
It was easier to pull the bed in my case, but I had to work on both tanks (front sender and rear pump). You will need 2 people, but 3 is way easier, because you pic it up by the wheel wells and it teeters. To remove it, take the tail gate off (you dont have to, but it's extra weight), take out the 3 screws that hold the filler necks in (do this on both necks), unplug the tail lights (only one harness, just on the driver side of the license plate), then the 6 18mm bolts holding the bed down. If you have the man power I would take the bed off, less chance of getting gas in your face. Also, since oyu have it off, you can change the strainer in the rear tank just to be safe, clean off the frame, etc.

No matter how you do it, be careful when you pull the pump\sending unit from the gas tank, the sending unit is fragile and can break (meaning you dont have a working gas gauge anymore). It's not that hard, just dont yank it out of the tank, pay attention and see if anything is going to hit the sides of the hole as you pull it out.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I'll have to check it out once I get it. As far as putting the new one on, it is just replacing the parts from the old tank on the new one. Is there any visible way to check and see if I would need a fuel pump or something like that?

Old 10-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Test the fuel pressure on each tank BEFORE disassembling anything. Test the fuel level sender with a meter after it's out of the tank, and shake the float to hear if it contains gas. It's all shown in that album.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Ok. Thanks Steve!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Tank(s)