Pre-1997 Models

Rust repair advice (pictures included)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust repair advice (pictures included)

This is regarding my '95 F150.

Alright so I live in the midwest, we get snow and rain here, but it's not anywhere near as bad as up north. That said, I got some car cancer on my truck. Here's the damage. (The pictures are large so I will just put a link to them).
Rear passenger side:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3252/dscn5042c.jpg

Rear cab on passenger side:
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2881/dscn5043f.jpg

Rear driver side:
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5670/dscn5046c.jpg

Rear cab on driver side:
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2143/dscn5047.jpg

Driver side fender:
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/3552/dscn5048o.jpg
(My dad would spray paint it.. he hated how the rust looked but apparently didn't care enough to actually fix it.)

The driver side fender appears to be in the worst condition, I figure worst case scenario I could replace the whole thing.

Any thoughts? I have never dealt with rust before. The last truck we had was an '83 that was rusted so far gone that we never bothered trying to fix it.

Last edited by ReFracture; 10-22-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
if only the truck had been washed more

anyway, you need to remove the rust, I.E. sand it all down, repair/replace the metal as needed

and get under that truck 'cause I guarantee you that the entire underside is terrible...

Old 10-23-2010, 09:21 AM
By PA standards that truck is pristine! I followed your previous thread so I know your connection with that truck. I also know you are on a budget. The correct way to go about the bedsides is replacing them. And dear god are they expensive! Even aftermarket! So it looks like aftermarket patch panels might be in your future. Just make sure you rust proof everything when you are done.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Rust what rust? Oh PA standards..haha
Replacing the whole bedside would really be your best bet. When my cousin redid his truck they found it easier to hang a whole new bedside than the patch and line up small spots.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:22 AM
On a side note the shop I work at sell a LOT of flares after people get an estimate on bedsides and fenders. Not a correct repair, kinda like 'if i can't see it,it's not there' thing.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
All of that is from salt - not just rain/snow. Start washing the UNDERSIDE now, and keep doing it each week until you're sure you've gotten all the dirt/dust/salt out of the body. Then remove the wheel lip mouldings and see just how bad it is - you can probably get away with some bondo/fiberglass, considering how light the rust looks from outside. Once you have all the rust ground off & filled over, undercoat the backside to seal it up, and paint the outside. Then put the mouldings back on.

If the fender is too far gone, it's not very difficult to replace it. Click my black Bronco in my sig & look thru the Body Repairs album. Here's another example that's identical to yours:

Old 10-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Wash the underside? Should I just crawl under there with a garden hose and spray everywhere?

Sadly I'm willing to believe you guys that it's terrible under there, I'm actually kind of scared to look.

Thanks Steve, your albums are simply fantastic, I could spend all day going through that stuff.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ReFracture
Wash the underside? Should I just crawl under there with a garden hose and spray everywhere?
Start with that. If that doesn't get it all, bring a brush with you. If that doesn't do it, buy a set of ramps & swim goggles, and wear some shorts to the coin-op car wash.

While it's dry, spend a few minutes just FINDING all the nooks & crannies where the mud/salt has built up.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Steve83
Start with that. If that doesn't get it all, bring a brush with you. If that doesn't do it, buy a set of ramps & swim goggles, and wear some shorts to the coin-op car wash.

While it's dry, spend a few minutes just FINDING all the nooks & crannies where the mud/salt has built up.
Will do. I have a decent high pressure hose and nozzle at home I can use. I'm gonna try and do this very soon.. winter is coming.

Quick Reply: Rust repair advice (pictures included)