Pre-1997 Models

power window motor rebuild?

Old 10-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power window motor rebuild?

Anyone rebuild a power window motor? Not just replace the torque pins or repack it with grease. I have removed the motor and replced the torque pins already and it moves when powered by the truck battery, but not under load.

So I have the motor out and pulled it apart. I found some white "calcium" looking deposits that I am going to clean out. What type of grease should I use? What can I use to clean the copper wire that is coiled up around the magnets?
Anything I should look out for?

Thanks,

BTW its a 88 Ford Bronco, this is the rear tailgate motor.

88 Bronco, 4.9, T18, 33" ATs,

Old 10-22-2010, 12:20 PM
On my civic's power motor (well power window add-on kit), I used electronic parts cleaner, and white lithium grease, with no problems as of yet. Been about a year since the rebuild too. I only rebuilt the driver side (I started using my truck, wife got the car, so meh), passenger side is the same way when I bought it. The driver side goes up WAY faster, If I have a power window race, the driver side is up before the passenger side is even 1/2 up, so the rebuild made it faster and stronger.

Last edited by booba5185; 10-22-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:54 PM
So when you rebuilt it, what did you replace? What did you do to rebuild it?

Old 10-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't use grease - use a drop or 2 of clean motor oil in each bushing. Don't attempt to clean the windings, and those aren't magnets - they're the laminated armature. The magnets are inside the stamped case, and don't have any wires. The insulation on the windings is too thin to tolerate any cleaning. The only thing you can do to get more torque from the motor is polish the commutator (where the brushes rub) and resurface the brushes.

But it doesn't usually help - if it's getting battery voltage but doesn't move at normal speed, you just need a replacement motor, and they're not expensive or hard to find.

Have you tested voltage across the motor wires while it's pushing the window?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: power window motor rebuild?