Pre-1997 Models

cam in a 93 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cam in a 93 5.0

what kind of cam can i put in my truck without having to change anything in the computer

Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Any kind. You can't change anything in the computer anyway.

But if you want it to run right, put a stock one in.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:33 AM
I heard something about putting the mustang computer in,but i'm really just wanting a little more go out of it without tearing into my gas mileage too much

Old 10-22-2010, 02:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Then just do good regular maintenance. That's the best way to get the peak mileage & performance out of it, since that's what Ford designed it to do. Messing with it will make it unreliable & expensive. If you need something that burns less gas & has more acceleration, you need a Mustang - not a Mustang computer in a pickup.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:33 AM
Steve, what are your feelings on this?

I am in the midst of trying it on mine, right now when I floor it she almost dies, but I think i may have the wires routed incorrectly. Following this here in a min. When I gradually get on it, I do feel a noticeable difference.

Edit 2: Wow, big difference. Changing nothing but the wires, she ran great, but pinged ever so little. Cleaned the timing marks and retimed it to ~13 BTDC, and she's perfect. Much more power

Last edited by booba5185; 10-22-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Is your truck Speed/Density or MAF?
Do you need to pass a tailpipe sniffer test?
Do you tow or haul heavy loads?
Manual or automatic?
Final drive ratio and tire size?
Other mods?

If it's S/D (and I assume it is) you're limited as to what camshaft you can use since any change which increases overlap and alters manifold vacuum characteristics will cause drivability issues
You should use a smog-legal camshaft anyway but if you need to pass a sniffer test, you have to.
Towing or hauling will require that you use a cam with more low-to-mid range and less top end.
Transmission type and final drive ratio/tire size can also be determining factors.

With an otherwise stock engine, you're not going to gain much from a cam swap and as Steve pointed out there will be undesirable tradeoffs in drivability or fuel consumption. As you make other mods, the cam change becomes a more viable option.

Do a little research on your own. Go to the websites of CompCams, Crower, Isky, Crane etc. and look at the descriptions and characteristics of various cams. They will list RPM ranges, applications, other mods required, computer compatibility, smog certification etc. That should help you narrow the field.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by booba5185
Steve, what are your feelings on this?

I am in the midst of trying it on mine, right now when I floor it she almost dies, but I think i may have the wires routed incorrectly. Following this here in a min. When I gradually get on it, I do feel a noticeable difference.

Edit 2: Wow, big difference. Changing nothing but the wires, she ran great, but pinged ever so little. Cleaned the timing marks and retimed it to ~13 BTDC, and she's perfect. Much more power
Other than normal fluid and filter changes, the timing bump is probably the easiest thing to do to these trucks to net a good gain.

I agree with Steve and Strange. Many more things you need to do before worrying about a cam swap.

Search some. The cheap mods threads are all over.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:50 PM
I changed my cam in a 1988 when the truck was new and there was not any mustang pcm s available... I called Reed cams told them what I wanted from the truck and they delivered. Very pleased

Quick Reply: cam in a 93 5.0