Pre-1997 Models

Truck won't turn over, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't turn over, please help!

This morning, i drove my 1994 f150 to school, and it was running perfectly. After school got out, i put my key in the ignition, and tried to start it. It turned over for about 2 seconds then shut off completely. Now the starter just clicks whenver i turn the key. The truck is currently in the parking lot and I'm going to go over there later to try and fix it. Is there a way to start it? Or am i going to have to tow it and buy a new starter? Thanks in advance!

P.s. my check engine light turns on when the power is on. Also, the radio turns on and we tried to jump it with no luck.

Last edited by AJM511; 10-14-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Sounds like a bad battery to me and would be the 1st thing I would check. Check and clean the terminals, make sure they are tight then try giving it a jump start.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by mlamprey
Sounds like a bad battery to me and would be the 1st thing I would check. Check and clean the terminals, make sure they are tight then try giving it a jump start.
We moved the cables around and cleaned off the terminals also, but its worth another try. Any other suggestions?

Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 PM
How about the old hit the starter with a hammer a few times trick? Just to drive it a mile back to my house?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 PM
I was once told that if the battery dropped below 9 volts under load that a safety within the computer would activate and the vehicle would not start, even with a jump. IF you have a 6 with a manual tranny, it may start if pushed a few feet. Otherwise, I suggest a battery test at the very least.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do the headlights go dim during this CLICK? If so, the battery terminals are the prime suspects. Read these captions:

If not; do the CEL & alternator lights come on with the key in RUN, and stay on during the CLICK? If so, the starter relay is the prime suspect, but the starter solenoid is another possibility. Turn the key to RUN and use a key or screwdriver to bridge across the 2 large studs on the starter relay.

. .

The engine should crank, fire, & run. If you still only get a CLICK from down low beside the engine, the starter or its solenoid are suspect.

Originally Posted by es347fan
...a safety within the computer would activate and the vehicle would not start...
No, that's BS. Every time the key cycles to RUN, the PCM re-initializes. If there's enough juice to spin the engine, it'll try to start.

Quick Reply: Truck won't turn over, please help!