Pre-1997 Models

got another project. this time its a 94 f150

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got another project. this time its a 94 f150

hey guys, been a while, anyways i found a "parts truck" with a clear title off of CG for $400, was able to get it for half that though, hehe. long story short i originally bought it to get a few parts off of it for my 90 f150 but the wife kinda fell for it and now wants me to get it running. its a 94 f150 xl ext cab short bed with a 302 and the 4r70w. it actually can start and run and move a bit under its own power, engine knocked a lil when we first started it but then again it had been parked since december of last year and it didn't do it again afterwards.

mechanically it needs a battery, evidently for $200 the battery is optional, lol i'm not complaining though since he did give me a nice steering column for my 90 for free. the tranny is bad and i think either it has a freeze plug out or possibly a cracked block or both. can't tell since it seems that it is losing the water as fast as i can put it in and the motor mount on the driver side is in the way. hopefully its not a cracked block but if it is i'll find another engine for it. i'm gonna use one of the rubber freeze plugs for now once i can get it in there and cross my fingers that's all it is. cosmetically it is decent, needs tires and has a bent door skin and fender from misalignment so it will need a hinge rebuild on the driver side. and fender and door skin but i may be able to straighten them out, windshield is busted and the passenger fender has some dents from the rocks some punk kids threw at it while it was parked, kids these days, .

anyways i plan to swap in a later model 4r70w and was wondering which years i should look at that were more dependable. definitely staying away from the pre-99's found a one with 108k a hundred miles from here for $200 out of a 2003 4.2L f150, i know i need to re-pin the harness and change out the tcc solenoid but is there anything else i need to do to get this one to work for me? we will be selling our new beetle hopefully this weekend so the parts buying and stuff will start shortly thereafter. i'll try to get some pics up this afternoon after work.

Last edited by RedThunder94; 10-14-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll probably find more info about the 4R70W mods on CVN, TCCoA, or the '97-03 forum here.

I've never rebuilt those hinges - I just replace them with good junkyard parts. Same for doors & fenders.

It's pretty easy to remove the engine mount lower nut, jack up the pan (using a wood pad), & remove that mount.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, good illustrations, thank you sir.

Quick Reply: got another project. this time its a 94 f150