Pre-1997 Models

Allow me to introduce myself.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allow me to introduce myself.

I am x_man586 lol.
I am trying to bring my recently inherited 1986 F150 XLT Lariat back into service. It has the EFI 302 with a 4spd manual and 4:11 gears. I have 3 books from which I am getting my information. The Haynes 86 Bronco-1/2 ton F-series trucks book, The Haynes Fuel injection manual, and Motorbooks "How to Tune & Modify Ford Fuel Injection". There is a great amount of information in these books, but I am not sure what applies to my truck. I believe It is TBI amd uses Manifold air pressure and engine vacuum to regulate lean/rich. But I am not positive. Then I have 2 wiring problems. The first and most important is the horn wire in the column is shorting to ground when the wheel is turned causing the horn to blow. The second problem is with the fuel gauge. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't believe the problem is with the senders since it can read either tank until the needle falls all the way to the left. The horn is the biggie because I have to get inspected pretty soon. I have searched this forum and found that some of you have had the same issues that I have, but if any of you can point me in the right direction, and had information on what makes this engine run I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Can't help with those questions, but welcome to the site! I am originally from Longview, and we have a couple of members from Marshall.

Quick Reply: Allow me to introduce myself.